Office of the Registrar

Undergraduate BulletinOffice of the Registrar


Academic Calendar

The academic calendar is divided into two semesters, Fall and Spring. Prior to Fall 2011, the academic year was divided into three terms.  Summer session dates are established in early October.


Each student is assigned an advisor in their major area of study upon entering the School that serves as the primary advisor. The advising system varies from one arts school to another. In some schools the dean or assistant dean acts as the student advisor; in others, members of the faculty are assigned as advisors. Students are also assigned an advisor from the Division of Liberal Arts for guidance with required core general education requirements of their program.  

Degree Requirements

It is the responsibility of the student to know the requirements for their program and, where specific liberal arts courses are required, to include these courses in the program. Advisors will offer guidance, but the final responsibility remains that of the student. Credit requirements for UNCSA baccalaureate degrees range from 120-126 credits. The normal time to degree completion is eight semesters, provided a student registers for an average of 15-16 credits per semester. Factors that can delay graduation include failure to maintain required GPA minimums in the major area of study and in required liberal arts courses; withdrawing from courses; registering for courses out of sequence; or changing to another major or concentration.


Students register for classes online through the E-Z Arts self-service web portal. All undergraduate students must register at the appointed time. Students who have outstanding balances or other registration holds will not be allowed to register until all obligations to the university have been satisfied. Students will not be granted entry to classes without having completed registration. Through the registration process, students assume responsibility for the courses in which they enroll, and must review their schedule for registration errors. New students will receive instructions regarding registration, orientation and placement testing during the summer before their arrival on campus. 

An undergraduate college student must be registered for a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester to be classified as a full-time student.  Permission to register for fewer than 12 credits in a given semester must be obtained from the appropriate arts school designee.  In any given semester, students may not register for more than 18 credits without permission from their arts school.  The maximum credit load cannot exceed 21 credits per semester.  

Class Designation

A student’s classification is officially determined on the basis of progress in the major arts area. Class designations are, therefore, based upon a combination of the number of arts course requirements which have been met and the level of artistic proficiency that has been achieved. Undergraduate designations are C1 for first-year, C2 for second-year, C3 for third-year, and C4 for fourth-year and beyond.

Credit Definitions

College credit is awarded in semester hours.

Course Numbering

UNCSA changed to a 4-digit numbering system in Fall 2011. At that time, 3-digit courses were renumbered using a 4-digit number.  In most instances, courses are numbered by level:

  • 0000-0999 – High School Courses
  • 1000-1999 – Intended primarily for first-year undergraduates
  • 2000-2999 – Intended primarily for second-year undergraduates
  • 3000-3999 – Intended primarily for third-year undergraduates
  • 4000-4999 – Intended primarily for fourth-year undergraduates
  • 5000-5999 – Courses for which it is likely that undergraduate and graduate students would enroll
  • 6000-6999 – Graduate level course work in a degree program
  • 7000-8999 – Advanced graduate-level course work


Students are expected to attend all their class meetings, rehearsals and performances, and to arrive on time, prepared to participate fully. Attendance regulations for each program and for individual courses within the program are communicated to students and kept on file in the appropriate school or dean’s office. Students who violate the attendance regulations will be referred to the appropriate dean or director, who will counsel or discipline the students. Students who miss class frequently must be prepared to receive a low or failing grade or be advised to withdraw from that course. Prior approval from the appropriate dean, via an approved Late Return Request Form submitted to the Registrar's Office, is required if a student finds it necessary to arrive to campus after the first class day, but by noon on the ninth class day.

Residency Requirements

To qualify for an Undergraduate Arts Certificate, Bachelor of Fine Arts or Bachelor of Music from the University of North Carolina School of the Arts, a student must be registered as a full-time undergraduate for a minimum of two years, one of which must be the student’s graduating year, and must complete no less than 50% of their required program credits at UNCSA. 

Part-time Degree Status

Under certain circumstances, a matriculated college student may need to enroll as a part-time student in a given semester.  This change in status must be approved by the appropriate dean or designee of the Art School, and the appropriate dean or designee of the Division of Liberal Arts if the student has not completed the general education requirements. Part-time students register for fewer than 12 credits and are charged by the credit, according to the schedule of fees for special and part-time students. Students who have been granted part-time status must submit the appropriate signed form to the Office of the Registrar.

Transfer Students

Undergraduate transfer students will be placed according to ability and experience at the discretion of the appropriate dean and faculty following review of prior courses and interviews with faculty members. Where applicable, placement tests will be administered and appropriate advanced institutional credit is awarded. A transfer student must be enrolled for a minimum of two years and complete no less than 50% of their required program credits at UNCSA to qualify for the Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Music or Undergraduate Arts Certificate.

Credit for liberal arts courses in which the student has earned at least a “C” at another accredited college, and which are equivalent to specific UNCSA courses, will be transferred to the UNCSA record during the first semester of enrollment. Students must be in good standing to transfer additional coursework. Pre-approval from the appropriate dean is required to register for courses at another campus.  Only equivalent courses with a grade of "C" or better may transfer into UNCSA.  Transfer courses at the undergraduate level do not impact the UNCSA GPA.  Students should review the transfer information listed in the Division of Liberal Arts section of the undergraduate bulletin.

Course Audit

A full-time registered student may, with the consent of the appropriate dean and the instructor, audit one or more courses outside the major area in addition to his or her regular program.  No credit is given, and attendance must be regular. Students may not audit a class without first registering at their Arts School.  Under no circumstances will a student be awarded credit for a class after they have chosen to audit that class.  A part-time student who audits a class will be charged the prevailing per-credit tuition and fees. 

Independent Study

Only full-time faculty members may offer independent study courses. Exceptions may be made to allow for adjunct faculty to supervise an independent study with prior approval from the relevant Dean and Provost. Each faculty member may supervise up to three (3) students per semester or summer session. The Dean or designee of the appropriate Art School or Division of Liberal Arts may approve an exception to the limit for a compelling reason.


Students may add or drop courses during the first week of classes without penalty. Changes during this week do not appear on the student's permanent record and are not included in attempted hours. Students who have cleared all holds and wish to add or drop courses during this period shall do so through E-Z Arts online registration.

Course Withdrawals

Students are expected to complete all the courses for which they are registered at the close of add/drop.  These courses are recorded on the student’s transcript, count as attempted hours, and will be used in financial aid calculations. Beginning with the second week of classes to the conclusion of the withdrawal period, students must officially withdraw from a course through the following process.  A grade of "W" will be recorded for the course.

  • Student must meet with the instructor of record to discuss progress in the course and the nature of the withdrawal request.
  • Student must complete the course withdrawal form and submit to the Division of Liberal Arts if withdrawing from a liberal arts class, or from the appropriate arts school if withdrawing from an arts class.
  • The course withdrawal form must be signed by the student, instructor of record for the course for which the withdrawal request has been made, and the appropriate arts advisor or art school designee.
  • Completed forms must be routed to the Office of the Registrar.
  • A course withdrawal form without the proper signatures cannot be processed and will result, if the student has stopped attending class or doing the coursework, in a grade of “F” for the course.
  • No course withdrawals will be processed past the last day to withdraw from a course.

Limit on Course Withdrawals

Students are permitted to withdraw from a maximum of 16 credit hours over the course of their degree or degrees. "W" grades earned prior to Fall 2014 do not count in the 16 credit hours.  Students can track how many credits they have withdrawn from in E-Z Arts. Once a student reaches the maximum allowable credits, no additional withdrawal requests will be granted unless the withdrawal is approved for extenuating circumstances.

Consequences of a course withdrawal include:

A “W” will be recorded on the student’s transcript.

  • The credit hours of all courses for which a student was granted a withdrawal are counted as attempted hours towards the degree.
  • All registered courses are subject to financial aid and satisfactory academic progress calculations.

Course Withdrawals with Extenuating Circumstances

Withdrawal with extenuating circumstances refers to the process resulting in a student terminating their enrollment in classes during a semester or summer session because of medical or other documented reasons, and may be requested after the end of the withdrawal period, but no later than the last day of classes for the semester. If approved, all courses are assigned a grade of “W" and will not count toward the 16 credit withdrawal limit.


Students who wish to petition for a withdrawal with extenuating circumstances must begin the process by contacting the case manager in the Office of Student Affairs. If the student is unable to contact the case manager, a suitable representative (i.e. parent or legal guardian) may be appointed to do so.

Course Withdrawals with Extenuating Circumstances for Medical Reasons

The student requesting a withdrawal with extenuating circumstances for medical reasons must be evaluated by a health care provider licensed to make medical diagnoses.  If the patient has been followed by an off-­­campus health care provider, they will need a letter sent from that provider to the Director of Health Services indicating the diagnosis and recommended course of care. This letter must also indicate that the health care provider supports the decision of a medical withdrawal. The student must then contact Health Services and request a medical withdrawal. If deemed appropriate by the Health Services Director, a letter will be issued to the student and a copy forwarded to the Office of the Registrar. 

Course Withdrawals with Extenuating Circumstances for Psychological Reasons

Withdrawals for issues of a psychological nature are handled by Counseling and Testing Services. If the patient has been followed by an off-­­campus health care provider, they will need a letter from that provider indicating the diagnosis and/or treatment and that a withdrawal for psychological reasons is appropriate. These requests should be addressed to the Director of Counseling and Testing Services. If withdrawal is deemed appropriate by the Director of Counseling and Testing Services, a letter will be issued to the student and a copy forwarded to the Office of the Registrar.

Course Withdrawals with Extenuating Circumstances for Military Deployment

Students who must withdraw due to military deployment must complete the online withdrawal form and speak with the Case Manager.  Withdrawals for military deployment are processed through the Office of the Registrar and require appropriate documentation. Students granted a withdrawal with extenuating circumstances should understand that:

  • The credit-­­hours of all courses for which a student was granted a withdrawal with extenuating circumstances are counted as attempted hours towards the degree.
  • Courses for which a student was granted a withdrawal with extenuating circumstances do not count in GPA calculation.
  • All registered courses are subject to Financial Aid and Satisfactory Academic Progress rules and calculations.

Considerations when petitioning for a Withdrawal with Extenuating Circumstances:

If a student cannot produce sufficient proof that they have been medically or psychologically unable to attend classes for a significant part of the semester, a medical withdrawal will be unlikely.

Students obtaining a withdrawal with extenuating circumstances from all courses effectively stop their matriculation record and must reapply to the institution through the Office of Admissions. Students returning to UNCSA within one year of withdrawal will have the application fee waived.

After obtaining a withdrawal with extenuating circumstances, the student will not be permitted to reenroll in the institution until sufficient proof has been provided to Student Health Services or  Counseling and Testing Services that they are essentially qualified to return to school. At that time, a letter will be issued by the appropriate office for the student to forward to the Office of Admissions.  Health Services and Counseling and Testing Services have no authority to determine reimbursement of fees.  Withdrawals with extenuating circumstances may affect the student's housing status. Therefore the student will need to contact the housing office as soon as possible to determine what effect, if any, withdrawal will have on their housing status.

Withdrawals   with   extenuating   circumstances may affect a student’s health insurance coverage. This is determined by the student’s insurance company. Health Services and Counseling and Testing Services have no authority in this matter.

In rare cases, students may be granted a withdrawal with extenuating circumstances for individual courses rather than a semester course load. Documentation for this type of withdrawal must specify why the student is essentially qualified to continue certain courses but not others.

Students denied a withdrawal for extenuating circumstances may appeal this decision to a committee composed of the student’s arts school dean, an additional dean, and the Vice Provost and Dean of Student Affairs.

Withdrawal from the University

Students who wish to fully withdraw from UNCSA without completing the semester must begin the process with the case manager located in the Student Affairs Office. A withdrawal form with all appropriate signatures will be submitted to the Office of the Registrar for processing. Students who withdraw from school during a given semester receive no credit for courses taken during that semester, and may not carry incomplete grades on their record.  Students who leave school without officially withdrawing will receive grades of “F” for all courses in which they are registered and will forfeit eligibility for refund of tuition or fees. Students who have terminated their enrollment for any reason must apply for readmission before registering for another semester. Students who withdraw from the institution without extenuating circumstances will receive “W" grades for all attempted credit hours.  Should a student decide to reenroll, these hours will count toward the maximum withdrawal credit limit.  A student who intends to withdraw from the institution should do so by the published withdrawal date for the semester. No student will be allowed to withdraw from a semester once classes have ended.

Students who decide to leave UNCSA after completing the semester must contact the case manager located in the Student Affairs Office, and submit the online withdrawal form located on the Office of the Registrar's web page. All coursework must be completed prior to the withdrawal.  Students who have terminated their enrollment for any reason must apply for readmission before registering for another semester.

Good Academic Standing

Good academic standing is determined by:

  • meeting GPA requirements;
  • successful completion of at least 67% of all attempted hours; and
  • continued improvement in the artistic area of study.

Probation and Continuance

It is the responsibility of the student to understand the probation and continuance policies, and to know the specific grade and quality point requirements for continuance in their programs and for graduation.  The Probation and Continuance Policy is located in the Institutional Policies section of this bulletin. 

Early Warning

In order to assist students in rectifying poor academic performance, information on the cumulative GPA is available for students and advisors through E-Z Arts on the student academic transcript screen and the degree audit in Degree Works.

Students who are not meeting program requirements will be issued a warning letter specifying the area(s) of concern and a list of what skills, tasks, or objectives the student must accomplish in order to improve. A student who fails to remedy the concerns within the timeframe articulated in the letter may be placed on Probationary Status.  The warning letter will be generated by the Office of the Registrar in collaboration with the arts school dean or designated representative and the Dean of Liberal Arts if appropriate.

Students who exhibit behavior that is likely to lead to poor academic performance are referred to the case manager in the Office of Student Affairs.

Final Examinations

Final examinations are given during a four-day period at the end of each semester. An unexcused absence from a final examination will result in the student receiving a “zero” for that activity and loss of makeup privileges.

Early Departure from School

While early departure before the end of the semester is discouraged, UNCSA recognizes that, from time to time, extenuating circumstances will necessitate approval of such early departure. Students seeking permission to leave school early should meet with the assistant dean of the Division of Liberal Arts and with their arts dean to obtain a permission form and to discuss early departure. (NOTE: Travel or vacation plans are NOT acceptable reasons for early departure. Students should carefully consult the academic calendar and plan accordingly.)  Students receiving financial aid must speak with the Financial Aid Office before obtaining approval for early departure.

For approval of early departure from liberal arts classes, an Early Departure Form must be signed by the appropriate liberal arts and/or arts instructor, and arts advisor (if appropriate), and returned to the assistant dean of the Division of Liberal Arts and the arts dean no less than three weeks prior to the end of the semester.  Student must ensure there is a plan for completion of semester courses.

Students who leave campus before the end of the semester without having been granted the appropriate permission will be considered to have unexcused absences.

Grade Replacement Policy

Students currently enrolled may repeat certain required core general education courses in which a D or F was earned. Beginning in Fall 2018, core general education courses eligible for grade replacement for all BFA and BM students are FYS 1100, ENG 1200, HUM 2101* or HUM 2100 and HUM 2102-2112.

The student may request to have only the higher of the two grades count in their Grade Point Average (GPA) calculation. The academic transcript will reflect all course grades; however the replaced grade will not be used in calculating the cumulative grade point average. Grades cannot be replaced for courses offered within the art schools.  

There are a number of restrictions to this policy; students are advised to consult with their liberal arts advisor prior to making any decision.

  • a grade can only be replaced for a course once;
  • grades can be replaced for up to twelve credit hours;
  • courses must be taken at UNCSA;
  • credit hours will be counted only once;
  • the policy cannot be used in instances when the original grade was the result of plagiarism or some other academic integrity violation;
  • students who have graduated with the arts diploma or undergraduate arts certificate are no longer eligible;
  • all grades are included in attempted hours.

Students who decide to take advantage of the grade replacement policy are required to obtain and submit the Grade Replacement Form to the dean or assistant dean in the Division of Liberal Arts prior to the last day of exams during the semester in which the course is being repeated.  

* Grade replacement for HUM 2101 is only available through the end of the 2025-2026 academic year.

Delayed Graduation

Students are required to complete all degree requirements at the time of their scheduled participation in graduation. A student who does not graduate on schedule may seek permission from the faculty of their arts school to complete their requirements at a later date.  These requirements must be successfully completed within seven years after the student’s last enrollment at UNCSA. 

Leave for a Valid Educational Purpose

A leave of absence may be granted for a specific period of time for a valid educational purpose. Such permission may be granted by the appropriate arts school dean, with the understanding that no credit can be given for studies or projects undertaken by the student while not officially enrolled in school. No tuition is paid for a semester during which a leave has been granted and no application fee for readmission is required, though the student must re-aply for admission, if the student reenrolls for the semester immediately following the leave period.  Students leaving UNCSA for any reason must also contact the case manager, located in student affairs. 


Former students who reenroll at UNCSA after an interruption of two years or more will follow the new curriculum in place upon returning. Students who enroll within two years of their last enrollment will take a prescribed transition plan of courses.  Students will be asked to sign a memo of understanding so that both advisor and student are aware of the appropriate curricular changes.

Students Returning to UNCSA to Complete a Baccalaureate Degree

Students who have completed the arts requirements of their bachelor's program and have a UNCSA GPA of 2.0 or higher in Liberal Arts required general education courses may transfer in their remaining  courses provided it is within seven years of their last enrollment, and provided that they received a grade of C or higher in each transferable course from a regionally accredited college or university.

A student who has completed the Arts Diploma or Arts Certificate and satisfactorily completed all general education requirements with a GPA of 2.0 or higher, but was unable to graduate with a BFA or BM due to low SAT or ACT test scores, outstanding high school minimum course requirements, or unreported test scores may apply for readmission once they have reached the age of 24. In these cases, the student must enroll at UNCSA for a minimum of six credit hours of coursework in liberal arts courses and maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA in these courses from the date of readmission.

Forgiveness Policy

The UNCSA Forgiveness Policy is a mechanism through which a student who has completed the Arts Diploma or Arts Certificate but has not satisfactorily completed the core general education requirements toward a BFA or BM with a GPA of 2.0 or higher can return to UNCSA to complete the degree. The Forgiveness Policy defines pertinent parameters and procedures, including the situations in which such completion can be undertaken, the work that must be accomplished, and the minimum standards of achievement. In order to use the forgiveness policy a returning student must meet certain criteria.  Please see the Division of Liberal Arts section of the bulletin for more information.

Grading System

UNCSA’s grading scale is based on a 4.0 scale. The highest grade awarded for course work at UNCSA is the grade of “A” with a quality point award of 4.0.  Quality point average is determined by dividing the sum of quality points by the sum of semester hours. Prior to Fall 2011, a grade of “A+” could be given, carrying 4.5 quality points.  Final grades for courses are available at the end of each semester on E-Z Arts.  The current grading scale is as follows: (Quality points are awarded per semester hour).

A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0
C- = 1.7
D+ = 1.3
D = 1.0
D- = 0.7
F = 0
P = Pass
I = Incomplete
W = Withdrew S=Satisfactory U=Unsatisfactory

Incomplete Coursework

Occasionally, because of personal, medical or other emergencies that may arise, a student may be unable to take final examinations or juries or complete the final assignments for a course. In such cases, a grade of “Incomplete” may be requested for one semester so that the student may complete the courses in which satisfactory progress was being made at the time of the request. The normal time limit to complete the work for a course in which a grade of “Incomplete” has been given is the end of the semester immediately following the semester in which the “Incomplete” was given. However, an individual faculty member, with the permission of the appropriate dean, may designate an earlier deadline for making up the incomplete work. Failure to complete the coursework by the end of following semester will result in a grade of “F” for the course.

Academic Integrity Policy

UNCSA is committed to fostering an intellectual, artistic, and ethical environment based on the principles of academic integrity as a critical part of educating artists and citizens. Academic integrity is essential to the success of the University’s mission and violations of academic integrity constitute offenses against the entire UNCSA community.

Students who violate University rules on academic integrity are subject to disciplinary penalties, including the possibility of failure in the course and/or dismissal from the University. Since such academic integrity violations harm the individual, all students, and the integrity of the University, policies on academic integrity will be strictly enforced. For further information please visit the College Handbook Web site and the Institutional Policies Section of this Bulletin.

Student Records

All educational records for students are maintained in the Office of the Registrar and are available for student examination, as outlined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Students are informed at regular intervals of their current grade point averages and credits by logging onto E-Z Arts.  Students having questions about their progress are encouraged to address these questions to the Registrar.


Transcripts are released only at the written request of the student, except in cases as outlined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).  Requests should be sent directly to the Office of the Registrar. Students can also order their transcripts online from the Student Clearinghouse:

Official transcripts bear the signature of the Registrar and the School seal and are normally sent directly to other institutions or agencies in sealed envelopes. Unofficial transcripts must be downloaded from E-Z Arts.

Transcripts will not be released for students who have an outstanding financial obligation to the University or for students who have been declared in default of institutional, state or federal loans or who have failed to complete the federally required exit interview for borrowers of Federal Student Loans. The charge for transcripts is $7 each.

In-State Residency for Tuition Purposes

The University of North Carolina School of the Arts defines “In-State Residency,” when referring to an academic program and/or tuition rate, as outlined and defined in North Carolina General Statute 116-143.1.

The Residency Determination Service (RDS) is the entity responsible for all classifications of residency in North Carolina. Information can be found at The Residency policy is located in the Institutional Policies section of this bulletin. 

UNC Online

UNC Online allows matriculated students to register for online language courses across the UNC system.  In order to register for a UNC Online language course, students must:

  • be registered as a degree-seeking student.
  • receive prior approval from both their arts advisor and the assistant dean of the Division of Liberal Arts.
  • not exceed 18 credits hours without prior approval from the appropriate arts dean.

Tuition Surcharge

The tuition surcharge legislation has been repealed.  The effective date of the repeal is July 1, 2019, and applies beginning with the 2019-20 academic year.

Course Substitution

Students may need to seek course substitutions on the basis of a documented disability which inhibits the ability to learn certain subjects. For example, students with certain types of learning disabilities may find it next to impossible to learn foreign languages or mathematics. While tutoring and accommodations may help some students succeed in these courses, others may be unable to succeed even with the use of academic adjustments and accommodations. In such situations, students may request a substitution for the course in question. If the course in question is considered to be an essential part of the student’s program, a substitution cannot be granted.

The process established by the UNCSA for requesting a substitution is as follows:

  • Student must have a diagnosed disability that would prohibit his/her ability to learn the subject matter in question. Only those students who are registered with a disability may make a request for a course substitution.
  • The student writes a letter to the Director of Learning Resources requesting the substitution. This letter should contain details of past attempts to take the course (or related courses), information about the disability, and a specific request to substitute the course.
  • Director of Learning Resources will review the disability documentation, transcripts and the student’s letter. If documentation verifies the presence of a disability that would warrant a course substitution, the director will contact the appropriate art school or academic program and ask a dean to recommend a logical course for substitution best suited for the student’s major.
  • Director of Learning Resources will rely solely on the respective faculty to determine if the course in question is “essential” to the program.

The Director of Learning Resources will submit findings, including the recommendation of the dean (or designate) from the appropriate art school or academic program, to the Provost, who either approves or rejects the request for substitution. The Registrar and the respective Dean are informed if the substitution is approved so that the student’s records can be credited with the substitution. The student will be notified of the decision either by phone, e-mail, letter, or in person. 

Learning Resources
Telephone (336) 726-6963