Allen Smith is a Social Studies educator within the UNCSA High School program. Typically instructing World and U.S. History, Smith instructs his classes by combining lecture and group discussion. Smith infuses his courses with outside readings (primary and secondary sources), films and artwork.
As a Social Studies educator, I pride myself on building a strong rapport with my students; this allows students to trust themselves and begin to take ownership of their own learning experience as I push them to succeed in a rigorous coursework.
- Currently an AP World History reader and curriculum outliner/developer.
- Afforded the opportunity to help build a strong high school student government program and participate in ongoing student advocacy on the UNCSA campus.
- Over ten years of international educational travel experience with students in Europe, Asia Minor, Central America and the South Pacific.
- Participated as an educational tour guide with Envision for student groups within the United States: Washington, D.C., Harpers Ferry, W.V. and Baltimore, M.D..
- Employed as a full time social studies educator, A.P. World instructor and student government advisor at Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem, NC from 2004 until 2013.
- American History Association
- National Consortium for Teaching about Asia
Doctoral Candidate, Educational LeadershipAppalachian State University
M.A. HistoryAppalachian State University
B.S. History and Secondary EducationAppalchian State University
A.A. Liberal ArtsCentral Piedmont Community College