David M. Dunlap brings many years of professional experience as a director of photography, camera operator, camera assistant and 2nd unit director to his cinematography students in the School of Filmmaking. He has worked extensively in film and television throughout the United States as well as in Canada, Europe, Asia and Africa.
“My approach is to help jumpstart a student’s career by providing not only the technical and aesthetic knowledge of cinematography but to also provide a real-life and hands-on path to achieving powerful imagery and telling compelling stories with the lens, camera and light.”David M. Dunlap
- Director of Photography television credits include "House of Cards," "Orange is the New Black," "Gossip Girl," "Royal Pains," "Lipstick Jungle" and "Mercy"
- Director of Photography film credits include "Shaun of the Dead," "The Great Gilly Hopkins," "Game 6," "The Calcium Kid," "Griffin and Phoenix" and "Julie Johnson"
- Second Unit Director of Photography credits include “Forrest Gump,” “A Beautiful Mind,” “Air Force One,” “Ransom,” “The Interpreter,” “Julie and Julia,” “Men in Black” and “Enchanted”
- ‘A’ Camera Operator credits include “Goodfellas,” “Bram Stoker’s Dracula,” “The Age of Innocence,” “The Fabulous Baker Boys,” “Working Girl,” “What About Bob,” “Broadcast News,” “Postcards from the Edge” and “The Royal Tenenbaums”
- Director of Photography on commercials for the Olive Garden, Glaxo Smith Kline, Kimberly Clark, Publix, Verizon, Lifeline and Marie Callender
- Director of Photography on the documentary “Play on John: A Life in Music” for the Smithsonian Channel and on the Jamie Cullum music video “High & Dry”
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Nominated for a Primetime Emmy (Academy of Television Arts & Sciences) award for outstanding cinematography for a single camera television series, “House of Cards,” 2016
- Nominated for an ASC (American Society of Cinematographers) award for outstanding achievement in cinematography on a non-commercial television series, “House of Cards,” 2016
- Director, The Director’s Guild of America
- Director of Photography, International Camera Guild, IATSE 600
B.F.A. FilmmakingUniversity of the Arts