Eve Cauley joins the Production Design department faculty after 32 years in the film industry. Kicking off her career with the Oscar-winning film “The Untouchables,” she has worked in film and television production design, art direction and decorating. Before her film career, she designed, decorated and painted sets at many major League of Regional Theatres (LORT).
Success is a combination of creativity and skill building, persistence, innate talent, hard work, and resourcefulness. I love visuals and enjoy creating them for a story. It’s about looking carefully at what you see (not what you think you see) and letting those visuals fuel and inspire you; then we create and actualize new visuals, in order to fuel and inspire an audience, to support how a story feels. Design is an evolving art.
- Guest lecturer on production design at UCLA, Columbia College, AFI, IFP North, and Los Angeles City College.
- Film production designer on "Honey" (an Atlanta hip hop dance film to be released this summer), "Factotum," "Bound," "The Patriot," "The War at Home," "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell," "My Teacher’s Wife," "Fathers and Sons," "S. F. W.," "Where Sleeping Dogs Lie," "Ed And His Dead Mother," "Juwanna Mann," "The Good Doctor" and "Waking Dreams" (a Bollywood film)
- Film art director on "Drugstore Cowboy," "Sister Act" and "Eyes of An Angel"
- Film decorator on "The Leisure Seeker," "Home Alone" and "Dennis The Menace"
- Film art department: Lead person and buyer on “Above the Law,” researcher and art department coordinator to production designer Patricia von Brandenstein on “The Untouchables,” assistant to von Brandenstein and art coordinator for “Betrayed” and assistant to decorator Dan May on “Adventures in Babysitting”
- 46 episodes as production designer on "Secrets and Lies" (series), "The Detour" (pilot and series), "Cane" (pilot and series), "Dirt" (pilot and series), as well as TV movies "Heist" and "Hotel"
- TV decorator on Hallmark movie “Cupid and Cate,” and Tom Clancy’s miniseries “Netforce” (the Virginia unit)
- Before going into film, she worked in theatre scene (production) design, scenic art, and/ or decorating at major theaters such as The Guthrie (scenic artist, props), Studio Arena (resident head scenic artist/ assistant scene designer), AR Arts Center Children’s Theatre (resident scene designer and decorator), Milwaukee Repertory (scenic artist), Missouri Repertory (assistant scene designer), and Chicago theaters such as Victory Gardens (scene designer), Northlight (scene designer, scenic artist), Organic (scene designer), Stormfield (resident scene designer), Pegasus Players (scene designer)
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Received Chicago’s Joseph Jefferson Recommendation for Excellence in Scene Design for her design of the play "Snow," about the Russian Revolution. Eve recreated Faberge eggs 16 feet high as backings, painted 14’ high political portraits, and more.
- Selection committee (1 of 5) for scripts for Chicago’s 2nd Annual Off-Off Loop Festival.
- Technical Coordinator of Chicago’s first Annual Off-Off Loop Festival.
- Los Angeles Art Director’s Guild IATSE local 800
- Chicago’s IATSE local 476
- Voting member of the Television Academy of Arts and Sciences
M.F.A. Production DesignUniversity of Wisconsin at Madison
B.A. Double Major: Theater Design and EnglishSUNY Albany