We all inhabit a world of language, image and persuasion. To stand out, I encourage them to think critically and navigate about the world through observation, reflection, discussion, and collaborative collegiality. I use project based assignments (individual and group projects), in-class writing with emphasis on analysis and interpretation of works of art and provide time for students to engage in class discussion. I hope they see the love I have for art and critical inquiry (philosophical and societal) and that it compels them to develop their own brand of love for what they do.
Cultivating a student’s passion is the key to their success. I want my students to have passion for their field and help them find ways to express their knowledge professionally.
Formally an Associate Professor of Art History at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock
- The 2015 publication of my co-edited book "Memory Traces: Analyzing Sacred Space at Five Mesoamerican Sites"
- Twice selected as a Fulbright-Hays recipient for seminars in China and Brazil, which resulted in working with land artist Andrew Rogers in Nepal and writing an essay for his book, writing an exhibition catalog for environmental artist Jacqueline Bishop, and being invited to an international conference in Delhi, India
- Twice chosen as NEH summer seminar participant for study and research in Central America and Peru
- East/West Center seminar participant, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Middle Eastern Grant, University of Arkansas at Little Rock to support a month of curriculum research in Egypt
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Summer Research Grants UALR, for publication research in Yucatan, Mexico and Chiapas, 2009, 2010, 2013
- Faculty Excellence in Research, UALR, 2012
- Visiting Resident Fellow, spring 2013, Columbus State University, Georgia
- NEH Summer Seminar 2006 and 2008
- Fulbright-Hays 2007 and 2010
- Middle Eastern Research Grant (for research in Egypt) 2011
- Southeastern College Art Conference
- Society of American Archaeology
Ph.D. Art HistoryVirginia Commonwealth University
B.A. Art HistoryJames Madison University