Academy Award-winner Peter Werner joined the Graduate Screenwriting faculty after nearly 50 years in the film industry. Werner is known as one of the most highly regarded director-producers in television today, with credits including “Ghost Whisperer,” “Medium,” “Moonlighting,” “Law & Order: Criminal Intent,” “The Wonder Years,” “Elementary,” “The Blacklist” and “Blue Bloods.”
- Has lectured or taught at Savannah College of Art and Design, Antioch University, the University of California at Los Angeles, University of Southern California, American Film Institute, Dartmouth and Vassar.
- Created a documentary portrait of Frances Flaherty, widow of the great “father of documentaries” Robert Flaherty, titled “Frances Flaherty: Hidden and Seeking,” which aired on PBS.
- Directed documentaries, pilots, TV movies and a plethora of episodic television series including “A Different World,” “Almost Golden: The Jessica Savitch Story,” “Moonlighting,” “Army Wives,” “Grimm,” “The Mysteries of Laura” and “Six.”
- Produced several television movies including “Gracie's Choice” and “Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy,” along with the television series “Proof,” starring Jennifer Beals.
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Academy Award for Best Live Action Short Film: American Film Institute student film, “In the Region of Ice,” shown at the New York Film Festival.
- American Cinema Editors (ACE) Cable Award for directing the HBO film “The Image,” starring Albert Finney, John Mahoney and Brad Pitt.
- Four Primetime Emmy Award nominations:
- Directing - Drama Series for “Moonlighting”
- Directing - Limited Series, Movie or Dramatic Special for “LBJ: The Early Years”
- Directing - Limited Series, Movie or Dramatic Special for “Almost Golden: The Jessica Savitch Story”
- Television Movie for “Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy"
- Three Directors Guild of America (DGA) Award nominations:
- Directing - Comedy Series for “Moonlighting”
- TV Film/Miniseries for “Hiroshima: Out of the Ashes”
- TV Film/Miniseries for “Almost Golden: The Jessica Savitch Story”
- Directors Guild of America
MFAAmerican Film Institute