Interdisciplinary within a hybrid mode blending different teaching styles (lecture, demonstrator, facilitator, student as teacher, group work) to respond to the needs of diverse learning. I especially use this style to illuminate the significance of academics and the arts on each other. Additionally, since I am a Trekkie and love zombies, I tend to incorporate narratives about Star Trek and zombies. My classroom is a safe space for students’ voice. I welcome productive disagreement and foster energetic dialogue through class discussion and assignments.
Iendeavor to hone students’ reading, critical thinking , writing, verbal and creative skills to help them succeed in their professional goals
- Head of Composition, Division of Liberal Arts, 2013– present
- Awarded a Faculty Development Grant
- January 2014: Moderator, “New Winston Museum’s Salon Series to examine “A
- "Community within a Community: The African American Experience in Winston-Salem before Integration”
- August 2013: Head of Composition; Implemented Composition Orientation for First-Year Students
- April 2011: Participant and Performer, “Hands On,” Workshop Presentation with visiting artist Tim Miller, University of North Carolina School of the Arts.
- 2011: Panelist, Kenan Symposium, Dialogues on Charles Fuller’s A Soldier’s Play
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- 2014 Faculty Development Grant, UNCSA
- 2010 SSRC-Mellon Mays Dissertation Completion Grant
- 2008 – 2010 Carter G. Woodson Institute for African-American and African Studies Pre-Doctoral Fellowship, UVA.
- 2008 Summer Graduate Grant, The Andrew Mellon Foundation
- 1999 – 2005 Mellon Pre-Doctoral Grant, The Andrew Mellon Foundation,
- 2000 All-American Scholar Award.
- 1999 Barrett Fellowship in American Literature, University of Virginia.
- 1999 Alpha Sigma Lambda, Brooklyn College.
- 1998 Phi Beta Kappa , Brooklyn College Chapter.
- 1998 Philip and Margaret Leddy Scholarship, Brooklyn College
- 1998 Rose Goldstein Scholarship., Brooklyn College
- 1998 Outstanding Scholar in English.
- 1998 Intern, The Institute for the Recruitment of Teachers, Phillips Academy, Andover.
- 1997 -1999 Ford Colloquium, The Honors Academy, Brooklyn College.
- 1996 - Mellon Minority Undergraduate Fellowship Program, The Honors Academy, Brooklyn College.
- 1997 Golden Key National Honors Society, Brooklyn College
- 1997 – 1999 Dean’s Honor List, Brooklyn College
- 1997 – 1999 Ambassador to the President of Brooklyn College.
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship (formerly Mellon Minority Undergraduate Fellowship)
Ph.D., English Language and LiteratureUniversity of Virginia
M.A., English Language and LiteratureUniversity of Virginia
B.A., English and American Literature magna cum LaudeBrooklyn College