Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What is DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks is a web-based tool to help students and advisors monitor progress toward degree completion. DegreeWorks looks at the degree requirements of the UNCSA Bulletins and the coursework completed to produce an easy-to-read audit. The audit is divided into block requirements of how courses, taken or proposed, count toward degree requirements. Checkboxes exist within each block to easily outline what courses and requirements are complete or in-progress. DegreeWorks also allows students and their advisors to plan for future coursework. 

DegreeWorks is designed to enhance the academic advisement process and is not intended to replace face-to-face academic advisement.

Who has access to DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks is available for College students who were admitted to UNCSA beginning Fall 2012. Students admitted prior to Fall 2012 will need to contact the registrar’s office for access. DegreeWorks is not a substitute for meeting with your advisors.

What are the benefits of using DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks will help you:

  • Determine what requirements you need to fulfill in order to complete your degree.
  • Identify what requirements you have completed from your Curriculum Model.
  • View individual course grades, cumulative grade-point average (GPA) as well as your Liberal Arts GPA in required general education courses.
  • Determine which courses you have taken or transferred, and which ones count as electives.
  • View transfer credits, waivers, and exceptions applied toward your degree.
  • See how your coursework could be applied toward another major, or concentration using the “What If” option.
  • Project grade performance using the GPA calculator.
  • Confirm that you’re meeting your GPA requirements.
  • Estimate how many semesters it will take you to graduate.
  • Plan future course schedules utilizing the Planner option to see how the selections will affect the progress towards the degree.
  • Check for prerequisites for courses by clicking on the course numbers that have an asterisk (ex. HUM 2102).

Can I access DegreeWorks on my computer?

Yes. Access to DegreeWorks is through E-Z Arts by logging in with your 9-digit E-Z Arts ID and 6-digit pin.

How do I access DegreeWorks?

Student Login

  • Login to your E-Z Arts account at E-Z Arts.
  • Click on the Student tab/Menu item.
  • Click on the UNCSA DegreeWorks link.

Faculty/Advisor Login Login to E-Z Arts.

  • Click on the Faculty Services Tab/Menu item.
  • Click on UNCSA DegreeWorks.

Is my information confidential?

Yes. DegreeWorks is accessed by logging into E-Z Arts with your ID and confidential 6-digit pin. Remember that your advisor, faculty, and selected staff in your Art School and the Division of Liberal Arts will be able to view the information contained in DegreeWorks. If you are experiencing difficulty logging into E-Z Arts, contact the Registrar’s Office.

Who is my advisor?

All of your advisors will be listed at the top left of your audit. If there are no names or the names appearing are incorrect, please contact your Art School or the Division of Liberal Arts.

How current will my information be in DegreeWorks?

The information in DegreeWorks is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes, holds, or classes added/dropped) will be seen in DegreeWorks tomorrow.

Can I register for classes in DegreeWorks?

No. DegreeWorks is a snapshot of courses in-progress, and in academic history. You will continue to register through E-Z Arts online registration.

Can I see how many classes I have left to fulfill my requirements?

Yes. DegreeWorks is laid out in block format displaying degree, general education requirements, major, and concentration requirements. Look for unchecked boxes to identify requirements that you still need to complete. See legend at the bottom of your audit.

Are my grades visible in DegreeWorks?

Yes. Once grades have been processed by the University, they are viewable in DegreeWorks following the nightly refresh. Please note, although students grades can be viewed, final GPA and standings are not updated until all final grade processes are completed at the end of the semester.

Can I see a list of all courses taken?

Yes. Click on the "Class History" link for a list of courses taken at UNCSA as well as transfer courses.

Why isn't my information up-to-date?

There could be several reasons. One is that DegreeWorks may not have refreshed since a change was made (the information is refreshed nightly). Second, there could be some paperwork that needs to be completed. For example, if you have completed transfer courses, it is possible that we have not received an official transcript or the coursework is pending review. Check with your Art School or the Division of Liberal Arts if your audit does not reflect transfer work you have completed.

Does DegreeWorks include my AP credit and transfer work?

If credit is awarded, it will appear on the audit and fulfill requirements as appropriate.

Do I automatically graduate if everything is checked off?

In order to graduate, you must file an application for graduation with the Registrar's Office. Current students will be sent instructions when it is time to apply to graduate online through E-Z Arts. If you are not currently enrolled, or if you are graduating in a term other than Spring, you will need to download a graduation application at the forms section of the Registrar’s website.

I have been approved for graduation but DegreeWorks says I haven't completed all my requirements. Does this mean I won't be able to graduate?

Not necessarily. This can be a timing issue such as posting of grades for the current semester. If you have followed through on any requirements you were told to complete, you should still be on track for graduation. You will be contacted by the Registrar’s Office if you are not eligible to graduate. Contact your advisor for assistance in clearing up the problem areas as soon as possible.


Using Audits

How is Degreeworks audit organized?

The audit is divided into “blocks”. Each block works like a checklist that has boxes that are automatically checked when a requirement is met or is in-progress.

General Student Information:
General Student Information

Degree Progress Bar: The Degree Progress Bar shows a student an estimation of the student’s progress toward degree completion. This estimation is based on the number of requirements that have been checked completed.

Degree Progress Bar

Graduation Requirements/Degree Block and Unmet Conditions: This section indicates what is required for graduation in the selected degree for the bulletin year you were admitted under. It includes minimum GPA and credits required. This area also shows any unmet conditions for a degree. This area checks total hours, institutional GPA, and residency requirements.
Graduation Requirement Degree Block and Unmet Conditions

Liberal Arts General Education Requirements: This block displays the DLA core required liberal arts requirements for undergraduates, the courses that may be used to fulfill them, and will show check marks next to the courses you have already taken to complete the requirements. The blue header bar for DLA General Education requirements displays your bulletin year, credits required, credits applied, as well as the DLA GPA.
Liberal Arts Requirements

Major Common Coursework: This block displays the common courses required of all students in a particular major, the courses that may be used to fulfill them, and will show a check mark next to courses you’ve taken to complete your requirements. The blue header bar displays the major, bulletin in effect at the time you entered UNCSA, as well as the credits already applied.

Major Common Coursework

Concentration Coursework: This block displays the courses required for a specific concentration, the courses that may be used to fulfill the requirements, and shows a check mark next to the courses that have already satisfied the requirements. The blue header bar displays the concentration name, credits required and credits applied to the requirement.

Concentration Coursework

Courses Not Applied to Your Degree: Courses in this area do not appear to meet any graduation requirements and therefore are not being applied toward the degree audit. If courses are in this area, first contact your Art School or the Division of Liberal Arts about the possibility of using them toward your requirements. Exception and substitution memos are needed to move courses in this area to another block.
Courses Not Applied

Insufficient: This block lists courses in which the student has received a grade of (F)ail, or (W)ithdrawal. Repeated courses will display here because they only count once toward the requirements of a degree. Incompletes will show in this block as well.

In Progress: Currently enrolled students will also have an In Progress area that lists courses in which they are registered for but have no grades yet.
In Progress

Exceptions: Courses that are waived or substituted for another course are listed in the Exceptions block.

Advisory Notes: Predefined advising notes are listed at the bottom of the audit. Advising notes are added by an advisor and can be viewed by both student and advisor.

Legend: The legend explains the character used in your audit.

When can I use my DegreeWorks audit?

Use your DegreeWorks audit when:

  • Reviewing your progress with an academic or major advisor.
  • Creating a list of questions to discuss with your advisor.
  • Identifying courses that need to be completed.
  • Selecting courses that meet your degree requirements.
  • Determining a projected graduation date.
  • Changing a major.
  • Viewing a Degree Plan that your advisor has prepared for you.

How is a DegreeWorks degree audit different from a transcript?

Think of DegreeWorks as a tool, and not an official notification of progress toward degree. A UNCSA transcript, however, is an official college record, and can be requested through the Registrar’s Office or online at

Will I be able to view my entire course history?

DegreeWorks uses the information that is current for your transcript. You will be able to view any courses that have been completed, registered for, or transferred as of the date your audit is run. (Data is refreshed nightly.) Keep in mind that any transfer work or grade changes that have not been formally submitted and accepted will not appear on your audit.

I think my audit is incorrect. What should I do?

Ask your advisors for assistance. The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong. If none of the problems below describe your situation, or if you need additional help identifying what you think is incorrect, contact your advisor. If the advisor believes a technical error exists on the audit, he/she should contact the Office of the Registrar.

These are the most common problems and courses of action:

  • My major (concentration) is wrong on my audit. Since students are admitted into their major (Art School), it is highly unlikely that DegreeWorks would display this information incorrectly. You may have instead changed your concentration, but the paperwork has not reached the Registrar. Contact your Art School Dean for assistance. Oftentimes the change of concentration form is sent to the Registrar, effective for a future semester, so the change may not appear yet.

  • The requirements for my major are wrong. Look at the bulletin year that appears on the major requirements block of the audit. It should be the year you entered the school. According to our records this is the bulletin that you are using to complete your major requirements. If you believe you should be using older or newer requirements, or if your Art School has changed the requirements of your degree after you’ve matriculated, contact your art advisor. A Memo of Understanding may need to be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

  • My transfer courses don't appear in the right place. If you are concerned about a liberal arts transfer course that should be applying in the general education block of your audit, contact Mary Taylor or Dr. Puc in the Division of Liberal Arts to see what the issue is. If you have the same concern regarding an Art course, contact your Arts advisor for assistance.

  • Classes are not applying in the "right" place. DegreeWorks uses a "best fit" approach for meeting requirements so classes may shift between requirements as you complete/enroll in additional classe If you have further questions, contact your advisor.

  • My advisor gave me permission to substitute a course, but it's not showing on my audit. Talk with your advisor to make sure he/she submitted the appropriate paperwork to the Registrar, or check with the main office of your Art School. Once the exception is approved and entered in the system, the change will appear on the audit.

  • I’m intending to be a cinematographer, but degree audit lists my concentration as FIMA. In most cases, first and second year Filmmaking students are generalists until they’ve been placed in their concentration in their 3rd or 4th Contact your Art School for assistance.

  • Why isn’t there a check mark next to a class I’ve already taken? Your Arts advisor is your primary point of contact If your advisor determines that your audit is incorrect, he/she will contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance. If you have repeated a course, it will show each time in your audit, but only count once.
  • I changed my advisor, so why is my previous advisor showing instead of my new advisor? Speak with someone in the main office of your Art School. They will need to update the system so that the correct advisor shows in Banner.
  • Can I change my Major using DegreeWorks? Changing your major is effectively changing your Art School. This requires an approval form signed by both Deans and must be submitted to the Registrar for the change to take place. Please consult with your advisor. 
  • If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my audit? Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the Insufficient block because you did not complete the course.

  • What does it mean if I have classes listed under the In-Progress, Not Applied, or Insufficient headings? In-progress courses are listed separately (as well as in the appropriate blocks) because you have not completed them yet. Once final grades are assigned, the course should be applied to the appropriate degree block. Successfully completed courses that do not apply directly into a program of study are listed as courses that are not being applied toward your degree requirements. Courses that do not meet a grade requirement or are excluded from program requirements are listed under the Insufficient heading.
  • I repeated a course and I don't understand how it appears on the degree audit. Can you explain this to me? If you successfully repeat a course, only your last attempt counts toward degree require The earlier attempt(s) will be placed in the "insufficient" block toward the bottom of your audit. The courses in this area do not count toward your total hours, and they cannot be used to fulfill requirements.
  • I've seen the '@' symbol in several places on my audit. What does this mean? This is a wild card in DegreeWor If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it, it means that you can take any subject area with course numbers from your level (UG, GR). If it appears after a subject prefix (e.g., PSYC @), it means that you can take any course with that subject prefix (any course in Psychology). If it appears after a subject prefix and a number (e.g., PSYC 3@), it means that you can take any course with that subject prefix and at that level (any course in Psychology at the 3000-level).
  • How are In-Progress courses used to create my audit? Courses that are currently being taken, or that a student is registered for in a future semester, are included in the degree audit. These courses also are applied to the requirement blocks where they meet a specific requirement. These courses are grouped together at the bottom of the audit in the block entitled In-Progress. 
  • Are there requirements for graduation that DegreeWorks doesn't check? A few. This may be true when graduate students must have proficiencies in order to continue in their studies. While DegreeWorks has been designed to check almost everything that you must complete to qualify for graduation, there may be additional requirements that must be completed as well. You should use DegreeWorks in conjunction with the University Bulletin to ensure that you remain on track for graduation. If you have questions about any additional requirements for your major, talk with your advisor.
  • How will a substitute course appear on my Degree Audit? After receiving Art School or Liberal Arts approval, the exception will be recorded on the audit under the Exceptions block. In addition, they are listed in the block they apply to.