Director of Scene Design John Coyne has designed scenery and costumes for a number of theatre and opera companies throughout the country. He tries to impart his design philosophies on students, which are summed up in three areas: the human scale, the importance of resonance and the essential aspect of collaboration.
- Worked as a licensed architect in Chicago on various buildings, ranging from private homes and university and corporate projects, as well as corporate and private interiors
- Principal at Theatre Projects Consultants, an international arts facility consulting firm, where Coyne combined his knowledge of architecture with his passion for theatre in the design and construction of performing arts facilities. Projects included The Wyly Theatre in Dallas with the architecture firms OMA and REX, The New World Symphony in Miami with Frank Gehry and the new home for The Greek National Opera with Renzo Piano.
- Has designed for New York City Opera, San Francisco Opera, San Diego Opera, Washington Opera, The Joseph Papp Public Theatre, Dallas Theater Center, The Juilliard School, California Shakespeare Theatre, The Old Globe, Ford’s Theatre, Shakespeare Theatre, Center Stage, The Guthrie Theatre, Commonwealth Shakespeare Company in Boston and Goodspeed Musicals, among many others.
- Gallery Exhibit, "Reinventing the Globe Theatre," at the National Building Museum
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- UNCSA Excellence in Teaching Award
- Broadway World Connecticut Award Nomination for "I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti"
- Elliot Norton Award Nomination for "Taming of the Shrew" - Boston
- Dallas-Fort Worth Theater Critics Forum's Awards for "Front Page" - Dallas
- Connecticut Critics Circle Award for "You Never Can Tell"
- Dean Goodman Choice Award for "12th Night" - San Francisco
- Leon Rabin Award Nomination for "Tartuffe" - Dallas Theater League
- John Dinkeloo Prize - American Academy in Rome
- Peggy Guggenheim Fellowship - Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice
- United Scenic Artists Local 829
- Winston-Salem Youth Chorus – Board Member
M.F.A. Scenic DesignYale School of Drama