Michael Alvarez teaches interdisciplinary approaches to performance in the School of Drama. He has directed and created work for Her Majesty’s Theatre in the West End, Arcola Theatre, London’s Institute of Contemporary Arts, National Theatre of Slovenia, New York Theatre Workshop, and Serenbe Playhouse, and has made performance art pieces at the British Museum. He founded a production company called The Muse Collective.
As artists, we are tasked with dreaming of a better tomorrow. Through art, we explore what that tomorrow could be, chart paths forward, and dismantle the broken systems which deplete us.
- Former Visiting Professor of Directing at Virginia Tech
- Directing fellow at New York Theatre Workshop
- Alumnus of the Lincoln Center Director’s Lab and Drama League Directing Fellowship
- 2050 Directing Fellow at New York Theatre Workshop
- Former director with Civilians R&D group
- Founder of The Muse Collective production company
- In London he has directed and developed work at Her Majesty’s Theatre in the West End, Arcola Theatre, Westminster Library, Royal Academy of Music, Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, Institute of Contemporary Arts and the British Museum
- Guest director at the Brighton Festival and the PreGlej Na Gras Festival in Lljubjana, Slovenia
- In New York he has developed with the New York Theatre Workshop, Drama League, Hook and Eye Theatre, New York Musical Theatre Festival, Center at Park Westand Gallery Players
- Regionally, he has directed at the Serenbe Playhouse. Hangar Theatre and Echo Theatre
M.F.A. DirectingCalifornia Institute of the Arts
B.A. Performance ArtRoyal Central School of Speech and Drama