Registration is Under Way for UNCSA Summer Programs
This summer, UNCSA will offer Summer Arts Intensives in Dance, Drama, Film, Music and Visual Arts for High School students and Day Camps for Elementary and Middle School children in Dance, Drama and Music.
Summer Arts Intensives for High School Students
Young dancers, actors, filmmakers, musicians and visual artists have the opportunity to participate in intensive summer training programs at UNC School of the Arts. UNCSA Summer Arts Intensives offer non-credit immersion in five arts areas for students ready for a challenge. Programs last from one to five weeks, and housing is available for students who live outside the immediate area.
Programs offered include:
The School of Music is also offering a String Orchestra Day Camp and a workshop, How to Share the Music.
Registration is now open. The registration deadline is May 1 for Music; April 15 for all others (note: Dance and Music require auditions).
Summer Day Camps for Elementary and Middle School Students
For younger children, day camps in Dance, Drama and Music are offered during the summer.
- Preparatory Dance Day Camps: The Preparatory Dance Program will offer two summer programs in 2016: the traditional program for children ages 9–14, and a new Tiny Dancer Camp for children ages 5-8.
- Acting Out! Day Camps: For students who have completed kindergarten, Acting Out! engages children through eighth grade in one- to two-week drama camps. These day camps
will focus on acting skills for each age group and will also feature a selection of
classes in dance, improvisation, stage combat, movement and singing. Each session
will have a different theme, so campers attending both sessions can expect different
activities and challenges.
- Camp Shakespeare!: Camp Shakespeare! is a week of fun for students in grades 5-9, where campers explore a different Shakespeare play each day through performance, games, stage combat and a final performance for families.
UNCSA Community Music School (CMS) Summer Programs
The Community Music School offers instruction for all ages in a variety of programs.
- Open House: Held on June 4, the Open House will include free private lesson demos, an instrument
petting zoo, children’s violin sizing, Musikgarten class demonstrations for ages 6
months to 5 years, Suzuki violin demo lessons and CMS faculty performances.
- 8-Week Summer Sessions: The Community Music School offers private lessons, a Suzuki violin program and a Musikgarten
program during the 8-week summer session.
- String Orchestra Day Camp for ages 12-18: The string chamber orchestra extravaganza, led by UNC School of the Arts Orchestra Director Christopher James Lees, is nested within the first week of SummerStrings on the UNCSA campus and is open to local students who are looking for a quality chamber orchestra experience.
by Capture Public Relations & Marketing
March 30, 2016