Community Music School
UNCSA Community programs will be offered this Fall in a variety of formats: in-person,
online and hybrid. In-person classes will be held off-campus. The health and safety
of our students, teachers and their families is paramount, so in-person classes will
adhere to stringent safety protocols, including hand hygiene, face coverings and social
- All in-person Community Music School classes will take place at the Stevens Center
in downtown Winston-Salem:
405 4th Street NW
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
- Parents will complete an online health assessment for their child prior to each class
- In order to limit the number of people in the building, parents will drop off their
students at the main box office door of the Stevens Center prior to class time. Staff
will be stationed inside the door to check students in and take temperatures. Additional
family members will be not allowed into the building; exceptions may be considered
on a case-by-case basis.
- The pick-up location will be at the Box Office door and instructors will supervise
- Learn more about the UNCSA Community Health Standards which will guide our safety protocols.
Fall semester CMS registration is now open!
Search our Programs and Register Today
All classes are available in a fully-online format. Some classes are available in
a hybrid format consisting of online and in-person components.
The Community Music School has been an outreach program of UNCSA since 1976. Located
in the Stevens Center in downtown Winston-Salem and online, the school offers a high
quality music education to students of all ages and levels of experience. Group courses
and private lessons are offered in a wide range of instruments and styles and are
taught by some of the area’s top working musicians.
A variety of courses are offered, including Suzuki Method instruction and diverse ensemble opportunities. Students who desire a preparatory experience can enrich their individual lesson
experience with music theory/ear training group classes and ensemble instruction to
craft a challenging, rewarding and joyful programs of intensive study in our Preparatory Division. When you register for classes at the Community Music School, you also gain access
to select benefits, including:
- Performance opportunities in and outside the school, music theory classes, referrals
to community ensembles and free workshops with CMS faculty and guest musicians.
- Ability to request complimentary tickets to a variety of UNCSA performances, master
- A connection with the UNCSA School of Music, which ensures that students are focusing on appropriate material for the audition,
should they choose to pursue a degree at UNCSA.
- Families are eligible for discounted enrollment in some group classes.