Policies for using the Stevens Center
All areas of the lower level, except the Green Room, are included in the rental rate.
Use of the Stevens Center to the fullest is encouraged, while at the same time maintaining the excellent condition of the seats, carpet, furniture and equipment. Your compliance with these policies is expected and greatly appreciated.
Please communicate these policies to all members of your organization.
- THE GENIE PERSONNEL LIFT MUST HAVE FOUR OUTRIGGERS IN PLACE WHEN IN USE. IF THIS PRACTICE IS NOT FOLLOWED, ALL PERSONS DIRECTLY INVOLVED MAY BE TAKEN OFF THE CALL.
- All hanging scenery must be rigged with proper wire rope. All hanging scenery must have rated hardware. If you are using wire rope clips they must be put on correctly and be forged not malleable. If you are using sleeves they must be copper not aluminum. The sleeves will be checked with a go gauge before the scenery is flown.
- All scenery must be flame proofed.
- All cast and crew are to use the stage door or the performers entrance located on the Marshall Street side.
- A member of the Stevens Center staff, for billing and security reasons, must be present during all activity in the Center. Notify the staff upon arrival and departure.
- All work areas must be kept clean and presentable.
- Any soft goods moved must be returned to their original location.
- Operation of the fly system may be done only under the supervision of trained staff members.
- There must be on stage spotters for all linesets that move during the early stages of production.
- All tools and/or loose objects must be secured when going to the mid-rail, gallery rail, loading rail, front of house, grid, or up any ladder. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- There will be no eating or drinking in the house, on stage or in the sound, light and projection booths.
- The Stevens Center is a state building and therefore bans the use of all tobacco products inside the building and within 20 feet of all entrances and exits.
- Orchestra lift may be moved only upon request of the technical director and under the supervision of house staff.
- Motorized electrics and orchestra shell may be moved only upon request of the technical director and under the supervision of house staff.
- Please take care to prevent damage to the paint and floor surfaces in the lower level. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR ANY DAMAGE.
- Please do not use tape on any of the painted surfaces in the lower level.
- Any schedule changes must be approved in advance by the technical director.
- Regular working hours are from 8 A.M. to midnight. Any request for additional hours requires the prior approval of the Center manager and will involve additional charges to the user.
- THERE IS A THREE (3) STAGEHAND MINIMUM WHENEVER THE USER IS IN THE THEATER.
- ALL EQUIPMENT IN THE STEVENS CENTER MUST BE OPERATED BY TRAINED CREW MEMBERS HIRED AND SUPERVISED BY THE CENTER STAFF. COST OF LABOR IS LISTED IN THE FEE SCHEDULES.
Prior to load-in, the user must have paid all estimated charges and presented the staff with written proof of liability insurance as requested by the contract. All materials must comply with the fire and safety codes established by the Winston-Salem Fire Department and North Carolina School of the Arts.
THE CENTER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PARKING OF VEHICLES WITH THE PRODUCTION.
All equipment, materials, and tools brought into the Center must be removed immediately following the final performance. The Center cannot accept any responsibility for items left after strike.
The theater must be restored to the condition specified by the Stevens Center Technical Director. Approval of the strike is the decision of the Center staff member on duty.
Damage to the Center or Equipment:
The user is responsible for all damage caused by any person associated with the production under the user’s supervision. If the damage is not covered by liability insurance, the user will be held responsible for the cost. The additional charges will be included in the final invoice for payment.
Liability insurance is required as stated in the rental agreement. Proof of liability coverage must be provided to the Center staff prior to load-in. (For special events, the Center management reserves the right to require additional limits of liability.)
Special items provided by the facility user, related to a special event, may be sold in the lobby area with prior permission from the Center management. These items must be presented in a manner and in an area acceptable to the Center management.
User must have prior approval from the Center Technical Director and obtain a permit from the City of Winston-Salem. For instructions of how to obtain the permit contact the Center Technical Director. (Please note that the permit process takes at least 30 days.)