Aaron Willey teaches science in the UNCSA High School Academic Program. "I want my students to understand that science is not about memorizing facts," she says of her instruction. "Science is about experiencing and understanding the natural world around us. Therefore, students in my class will learn science the same way scientists do science…through experimentation. I also instill college-ready skills in my students so that they better understand who they are as a learner and are more prepared post-high school."
My biology students will not just leave class with a better understanding of the curriculum, but with an awareness of themselves and the larger role they play on Earth.
- Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools Promise Teacher Award – the top first-year high school teacher honor for the county
- NASA Endeavor Teaching Fellow
- Wake Innovative Noyce Scholar
- National Noyce Scholarship Travel Award for inquiry-based education workshop in Dublin, Ireland
- Published article for national science education publication, Science and Children
- Science as Art competition winner, Clemson University