David Dash joined the UNCSA Music faculty in 2017 and is a member of the Grammy-Award winning Santa Fe Opera. Previous to his UNCSA appointment, he was Assistant Principal Trumpet of the Naples (FL) Philharmonic and a member of “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band, where he performed as a soloist and toured much of the United States. He has also performed with the symphonies of Baltimore, Atlanta, Charlotte, San Francisco and the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Dash is a Yamaha Artist and a graduate of Rice University and the Manhattan School of Music.
I create a lot of exercises to help students master technical problems, always with the idea of taking a challenge down to its simplest form and gradually increasing the difficulty. This way, students are always practicing success with consistent, gradual steps.
- Performances with the Atlanta, Baltimore, Charleston, Charlotte, Greensboro, San Francisco, and Winston Salem Symphonies, the Florida Orchestra, the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Sarasota Opera
- Recordings include Grammy winning "The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs" as well as "Cold Mountain" with the Santa Fe Opera (Pentatone). Additional recordings include "American Anthems" with the Gramercy Brass Band (Koch International); the Manhattan School of Music Opera Theater (Albany Records); "Carmen Symphony and other classics" (Naxos Records) and "Symphonic Dances" with "The President's Own" Marine Band
- As a member of the Naples Philharmonic, he performed in a wide variety of genres, including pops, opera, ballet, baroque, educational concerts and masterworks. While in "The President's Own" Marine Band, he performed "Taps" at the nationally broadcast PBS National Memorial Day Concert. He performed frequently at the White House and state functions.
- Performing as a soloist with "The President's Own" United States Marine Band, the Naples Philharmonic and community music groups in Southwest Florida
- Performing as part of the Bowden-Dash duo with his wife, trumpet soloist Mary Elizabeth Bowden
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Received scholarships to the Orchestra Institute in Attergau, Austria, and to the Norfolk Chamber Music Festival
- Santa Fe Opera
- Former member, “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band
- Former Assistant Principal Trumpet, Naples Philharmonic