I combine theoretical and anecdotal readings, film clips which we analyze in class, lively discussions and hands-on editing – often all in the same class.
I train students to respond to material they edit as though they were first time viewers even when they’ve seen it and worked on it dozens of times – and to respond with their heart and soul as well as analytically.
- Editing "Raising Arizona"
- Editing "Miller's Crossing"
- Editing "Ghost World"
- Editing "Infinitely Polar Bear"
- Assistant editing "Manhattan," "Stardust Memories" and "Raging Bull."
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Sundance Audience Award: “Happythankyoumoreplease” (Edited by Michael R. Miller, A.C.E.)
- Emmy Award Nomination: Best Editing (Daytime): “It’s No Crush, I’m in Love”
- Academy Award Nomination: Best Live Action Short Subject: “Split Cherry Tree” (Edited by Michael R. Miller)
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Editors Branch)
- American Cinema Editors (A.C.E.)
- Motion Picture Editors Guild (MPEG) Local 700