Susan Crabtree, an author and award-winning scenic designer with three decades of teaching experience, is the director of the Scenic Art and Scene Painting programs. Crabtree has co-authored three scenic art textbooks, and is collaborating on a book about scene painting technique and pedagogy. Along with her MA and BA, Crabtree has completed coursework in the PhD program in theater history at the University of Colorado.
- Co-author of "Scenic Art for the Theatre: History, Tools and Techniques"
- Previously taught at Colorado State University, Brandeis University, the University of Michigan, the University of Arkansas, Metro State University and Santa Chiara Study Center in Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy
- Professional scenic design experience includes "The Nutcracker" for On Point Academy in Des Moines, Iowa, and for Boulder (Colorado) Ballet; work for The Local Theater Company in Boulder; the University of Denver, Colorado State University, and Curious Theatre Company in Denver; Bas Bleu Theatre Company in Fort Collins, Colorado; and the University of Michigan
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- Best Scenic Design of the Season Award from the Colorado Theatre Guild
- Three scenic design awards from the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts