As a percussion teacher, John Beck believes that it is his responsibility to guide students to an understanding of how they learn and how they listen. These two skills are the essential to growth as a performer in any genre of music. Beck knows that every student arrives to the teaching studio with a unique set of experiences, and the process of discovering the right combination of music, language, demonstration and questions that will open the door to discovery can be rewarding for both the teacher and the student.
- UNCSA faculty member since 1998
- Performer with the Winston-Salem and Greensboro Symphony orchestras, Brass Band of Battle Creek and the Philidor Percussion Group.
- Former member of the United States Marine Band
- Former regular performer with the National and Baltimore Symphonies, Washington and Baltimore Operas and the Theater Chamber Players of the Kennedy Center
- Toured the United States as a xylophone soloist with the Jack Daniel's Silver Cornet Band, Brass Band of Battle Creek and the New Sousa Band
- Past President of the Percussive Arts Society and presents clinics endorsing Yamaha percussion instruments, Zildjian cymbals and Innovative mallets
- President, Percussive Arts Society
- Soloist, Brass Band of Battle Creek
- Principal Percussionist, Winston-Salem Symphony
- Performed regularly with the National and Baltimore Symphonies and the Kennedy Center Opera
- Former Soloist, U.S. Marine Band
Awards & Honors
- UNCSA Excellence in Teaching Award 2006