EDIB Committee Updates
EDIB Committee Updates
UNCSA is committed to creating a welcoming environment that enables all students, faculty and staff to thrive. These reports share progress from the initiatives related to our community’s commitment to improving areas of equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging.
The efforts listed below build upon the goals established in the campus EDIB Framework.
See also: EDIB Progress Reports
Access and Success
Implement best practices for EDIB to increase recruitment and retention of historically underrepresented students, faculty and staff.
- Progress towards a new EDIB webpage on the UNCSA website ( launching in August), illuminating staffing roles, student support services and EDIB resources.
Capacity Building and Cultural Intelligence
Develop a standing governance committee structured to support and guide ongoing EDIB work across campus and work in partnership with the chief diversity officer.
- Recruited and hired a chief diversity officer.
- EDIB objective and purpose statements were developed and finalized, and added to UNCSA’s vision statement for EDIB.
- Initialization of identity-based affinity groups for four additional populations (Asian/Pacific Islander, Jewish, LGBTQIA+, Women).
- Transitioned the Office of Intercultural Engagement to the Office of Community and Belonging to align with UNCSA Forward and EDIB goals.
- Initialization of identity-based affinity groups for Friends of EDIB, Hispanic/Latinx, Black and International populations.
- Initiate standing EDIB Governance Committee.
Support and Advocacy
Create meaningful practices, policies and programming that help foster a safe and welcoming climate for the UNCSA and broader communities.
Coming in January.
- Developed and finalized job descriptions for two student support roles; Coordinator for Student Engagement and Administrative Services, which will support international students, and Coordinator for Gender Violence Prevention & Survivor Advocacy.
- In partnership with UNCSA Strategic Communications, produced an “introduction to EDIB” video, to be used for all new student orientation sessions. This video represents the first official diversity efforts planned for orientation programming.
- Completed a comprehensive list of single occupancy restrooms and a listing of signage language for inclusion in campus map. Making this information available to our community will make it easier to find the spaces for those in need of a private restroom.
- Established recurring institutional support for the creation of a month-long, student-led programming and celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, in partnership with Artists of Color.