Career Development Grants
Career Development Grants (CDG) are available to all UNCSA students to help fund opportunities that will impact their professional career.
This is a competitive grant.
Clearly articulate how your proposal will benefit your career. Consider how you will make industry connections and describe those plans in your proposal. UNCSA faculty can advise on networking and informational interview strategies.
In your proposal, request funding for the primary event you’re attending (registration cost for the festival, conference, etc.) before requesting the supplementary costs like food, travel, housing, etc.
Can be used for:
- Professional photos
- Professional auditions
- Work interviews
- Portfolio preparation including website development
- Professional conferences
- Attending exhibitions and performances in conjunction with networking
- Web hosting and online cloud storage subscriptions (limited to a 1-year subscription)
*If internships/apprenticeships are paid, include the amount to be paid as a funding source in your budget.
Cannot be used for:
- Extracurricular instruction from UNCSA faculty and/or staff
- Funding productions or projects
- Curriculum requirements
- School auditions
- Equipment and materials
Deadlines for the 2023-24 Career Development Grant
|Oct. 16, 2023||Online Application Available|
|Dec. 11, 2023||Applications Due|
|Jan. 29, 2024||Awards Announced|
May 2024 graduates must complete their projects and submit for reimbursement by August 31, 2024. Continuing students must complete projects by December 2024. Reimbursement must be requested within two months of project completion for all students.
Grant awards range from $300 to $1000 to cover one activity. Funding can only be used for the activity outlined in the grant application. One award per student per academic year is allowed. This is a reimbursement grant. NOTE: read the reimbursement instructions before submitting grant application.
The grant application includes:
- Student information section
- Project details section
- Project documents section (submit a single 5-page PDF file, with the applicant’s name
appearing at the top of each page, that includes the following)
- Page 1. Project description (must include specifics, 500 words maximum)
- Page 2. Short summary of how this grant will directly impact your career (250 words maximum)
- Page 3. Project approval from your primary faculty member/adviser/mentor (this can be an email converted into a PDF or a signed letter in PDF form)
- Page 4. Budget $300-$1000 (See example of a budget)
- Page 5. Resume (See example of a resume)
The PDF file you upload should be labeled as follows:
- Last name_First name_CDG_Fall 2023
This rubric will be used to score the applications. It is recommended that all applicants review the rubric prior to submitting their application.
The application will be open October 16 - December 11, 2023, for the 2023-24 cycle.
Career Development Grant committee members
- Dance: Ming-Lung Yang
- D&P: Michael Sharpe
- Drama: Sara Becker
- Film: Clint Smith
- Music: Oskar Espina-Ruiz
Career Development Grants are made possible through the generous support of the Talented Students in the Arts Initiative, a collaboration of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and the Surdna Foundation.