Certified Countertechnique instructor Kira Blazek Ziaii joined the School of Dance faculty in 2016, teaching contemporary classes. A former company member with Hubbard Street 2, Douglas Dunn & Dancers and Phantom Limb, she has danced a wide variety of styles and understands the value of versatility and adaptability.
Ms. Blazek [Ziaii] brings a defined structure built on what may seem a simple foundation - using the skeletal bones as references in teaching and learning tools - and shifts the focus from forcing movement into allowing the body to move without tension, sufficiently while maintaining technique.Contemporary Dance student
- Performed in works of Bill Young, Sally Silvers, Christopher Williams, Janice Lancaster, Nicole Wolcott, Ryan McNamara, Anouk van Dijk and Susan Marshall.
- Dancer for Pilobolus Creative Services, 2012
- Dancer in Shen Wei Dance Arts for works: “Rite of Spring,” “Near the Terrace,” “Undivided/Divided” and “Collective Measures.”
- Adjunct Instructor at University of Oklahoma
- Guest teacher at Houston Ballet Academy, Dance Center of Oklahoma City Ballet, Princeton University, California State Long Beach and NYU’s Playwrights Horizons Theater School.
- Working on music videos for Beach House and De Lux
Awards, Recognitions and Honors
- UNCSA Excellence in Teaching Award, 2018
- Faculty advisor to the Pluck Project