Horn faculty Maria Serkin is an active performer, pedagogue, and administrator who began teaching at UNCSA in 2015. In addition to involvement at UNCSA, she is the Principal Horn of the Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle and the Hawaii Performing Arts Festival.
Dr. Serkin has also held principal horn positions with the Charlottesville Symphony, Florida Grand Opera, Palm Beach Symphony, Atlantic Classical Orchestra, and the Sarasota Orchestra. An avid educator, she has taught horn master classes extending from the Eastman School of Music and The Juilliard School, to the Crescendo Summer Institute in Hungary. As the Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, she is deeply committed to guiding all music students towards fulfilling careers.
I prepare serious horn students for elite work in the music world. My students develop a strong technical and musical foundation, essential for prosperous horn careers. I incorporate relevant performance concepts directly into my teaching, and train my students to become problem solvers—a critical skill for emerging young artists.
- Brass Chair and horn instructor for the Hawaii Performing Arts Festival
- Former Lecturer of Horn at the University of Virginia
- Former Principal Horn of the Charlottesville Symphony
- Previsouly held the positions of Principal Horn with the Florida Grand Opera, Palm Beach Symphony and the Sarasota Orchestra
- Former Horn Professor of the New World School of the Arts
- Former fellow with the New World Symphony in Miami Beach
- Performed with the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Kansas City Symphony, Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, Richmond Symphony Orchestra and Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra
- Worked extensively with the Palm Beach Chamber Music Festival, Palm Beach Opera and Naples Philharmonic Orchestra
- Fellow at the Tanglewood Music Center, Pacific Music Festival, Spoleto Festival USA, National Orchestral Institute, National Repertory Orchestra, Kent/Blossom Music Festival and Round Top Festival Institute
- New York and Miami recording credits include work with The Public Theater's Shakespeare in the Park, Atlantic Classical Orchestra, Gloria Estefan and ESPN
D.M.A. Horn PerformanceManhattan School of Music
M.M. Horn PerformanceNew England Conservatory
B.M. Horn PerformanceEastman School of Music