Steps for Accommodations for High School Program
We look forward to helping to make your educational and personal experience at UNCSA worthwhile. The UNCSA High School Academic Program offers:
- Accommodations/modifications that specify adjustments to the learning environment.
- Development of Section 504 Classroom & Instructional Accommodations, or, if necessary, an Individual Education Plan (IEP).
Some students who enroll in UNCSA will bring a 504 Plan or IEP from their previous school. Others may be more newly diagnosed as a having a disability.
In order to determine services under Section 504 eligibility, the student must have a disability that substantially limits one or more major life activities. The disability must cause limited access to the regular educational program and does not require specifically designed instruction.
To determine eligibility for specifically designed instruction via an Individual Education Plan (IEP), an IEP Team consisting of the student, parent, and designated officials from UNCSA review disability-related evaluation data and ensure there is evidence to support eligibility for special education and related services.
Examples of Accommodations
- Extended time for tests
- Testing in a separate setting
- Use of a computer for test-taking or note-taking
- Copies of instructor notes
- Enlarged print
- Alternate format
- Text to speech software
- Speech to text software
- Screen reading software
- Magnification software
- Tutoring or 1:1 assistance
- Instructional interventions
Steps for Accommodations
- Students who have a current Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan may submit a copy of said plan as documentation.
- To receive disability-related accommodations a student must have a physical or mental impairment that significantly impacts a major life activity. This impairment must have been assessed appropriately and diagnosed by a health care professional qualified to render the diagnosis, who has also recommended specific accommodations.
- A signed copy of all documents pertaining to the student's disability are to be submitted to UNCSA Learning Resources office. Use the appropriate documentation for the given diagnoses:
- After documentation has been submitted and reviewed, the student and parent/guardian
will be contacted by a representative of Learning Resources and a request will be
made to schedule a meeting to review submitted information and discuss accommodations.
- Documentation will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and determinations will be made based on current findings and recommendations.
- Services and accommodations provided at UNCSA will be determined based on documentation and its support for accommodations in either the academic or living environment.
- After an initial review and assessment of the student's documentation, recommended strategies will be implemented to help the student achieve success in the regular classroom. Appropriate supports and accommodations will be determined for the student to maintain a level of success in the classroom.
- If there is a change or additional request for accommodations during the student's academic career at UNCSA please resubmit updated documentation to support any requests.
- If the student requires updated testing please contact Learning Resources at UNCSA for information and assistance.
All documentation should be submitted to:
Learning Resources Coordinator
University of North Carolina School of the Arts
1533 South Main St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27127-2738
Educational Resources on Campus