Graduate Checklist

We're looking forward to having you here on campus at UNCSA! You have plenty to do to get ready for the time ahead. Please follow the checklist below to complete your enrollment and prepare for the school year.

Every Student Must:

Expand All

Pay Your Enrollment Deposit

To reserve your space in the fall class, we must receive your Enrollment Deposit as soon as possible. Log in to the Applicant Portal to view your status page to pay

Applicant portal

A refund of a deposit will be granted if the request is made in writing and received in the Office of Admissions prior to May 1. No refunds will be issued after this date. If you are admitted after May 1 your payment must be received within 10 business days of receipt of your acceptance letter.

Find Housing

Graduate students may apply for on-campus housing. Please note that graduate students are exempt from the on-campus living requirement and are therefore not guaranteed on-campus housing. Housing on campus is limited and applications will be subject to a wait list pending availability of space on campus.

Off-campus Housing options

Email the UNCSA Residence Life Programs Main Office for additional information about housing options for graduate students.

Set Up Your UNCSA Email 

When your Enrollment Deposit is received you will be assigned a UNCSA Artist email account. You will receive an email with set-up instructions. If you haven't received the instruction email, contact your Admissions counselor.

If you have any issues accessing your school email account, contact the UNCSA Help Desk support center at or 336-770-3300.

Once you have set up your account, please check it on a regular basis. You will be receiving important communication from various on-campus departments (such as Financial Aid, Registrar, etc.) as well as faculty and staff.

Apply for Financial Aid

The Student Financial Aid office administers a full range of federal, state, university and private aid programs. Awards may be based on demonstrated need, talent or both. 

If you are applying for financial aid, you must have completed the FAFSA. The North Carolina priority filing date for financial aid for new students is March 1. You can still submit an application after the March 1 date but there will be fewer funds to distribute. In addition, be sure you are monitoring your E-Z Arts account. Financial Aid will be communicating with you through your E-Z Arts account.

Financial Aid Information

Note: International students are not eligible for any federally funded financial aid. International students can apply for UNCSA scholarships and grants. See types of financial aid. Due to the limited availability of funding, search and apply for scholarships and grants in your home country. Additional search resources are available, contact the international advisor at

Pay Tuition and Fees

A notice that your fall statement has been posted to our online billing site, TouchNet, will be emailed to your email address on or before July 12, 2019. Any questions regarding your statement should be directed to the Student Accounts Office in the Bursar's Office at 336-770-1416.

If you would like a parent or other individual to have access to your billing information, you must enroll them as an Authorized User in TouchNet.

Payment plans based on estimated expenses will be made available beginning in mid-May. Plans will be offered on a semester-by-semester basis, or for a full academic year (fall and spring semester).

Students who have not paid their bill or enrolled in a payment plan by the due date are subject to a hold on their account, a late payment fee or other actions as outlined in UNCSA’s Student Payment Policy.

Please note that tuition and fees are subject to change and may increase each year.

Bursar's Office

Enroll or Waive Student Blue Health Insurance

Health insurance is required for all students. The University offers Student Blue from Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina or you can keep your current health insurance if you are covered by an individual plan or through a parent's plan.

You must enroll into Student Blue or waive out of the insurance at studentbluenc.comThe deadline for Fall 2019 is September 10, 2019. Student Blue waiver and enrollment requests for Fall 2019 cannot be submitted after the decision deadline.

Enroll or Waive Student Blue Cross

Register for classes

The registration process varies depending on your arts school. Students will receive a letter from their arts school no later than the first week of June, advising them of the registration process. If you haven't received information, see the contact list to follow up with your art school. Registration for classes taken through the art schools will be online, June 3-21, 2019.

If you have any questions about our registration systems, please contact the Office of the Registrar via email at or by phone at 336-770-3289.

Purchase Art School Materials

Included in the What to Pack section is art-school specific supplies and items for living in the residence halls.

What to Pack

Submit Final Transcripts and Test Scores

You must submit an official final transcript from all institutions you attended prior to enrolling. If graduating, the transcript must show the date of graduation. This document should be sent to the Office of Admissions as soon as possible after you graduate or upon completion of your school year. If your transcript has not been received by August 1 you will have a hold placed on your record and you will not be able to enroll.

Submit required Health Services Documents

You are required to submit all Health Services documents by June 1, 2019, using the Student Health Portal. 

Student Health Portal

Understand Student Conduct Policy and Your Rights

Read the College Student Handbook to learn more about campus safety, student conduct violations, student rights, outcomes, and alcohol and other drug policy.

College Student Handbook


If you need or choose to:

Expand All

Apply/appeal In-State Residency

Information and links to student application for in-state residency, appeal procedure and residency application.


Clear Holds on your E-Z Arts account

You can check for holds on your account by logging in to E-Z Arts, student web portal.


After logging in, click on “Student” then “Student Records” and then “View Holds” to see which departments have placed holds on your account. 

Remember that when a department or office has placed a hold on your account, you will need to take action with that particular office right away. Only the department that places a hold can remove it

Among other restrictions, holds will prevent you from registering or changing your class schedule. Students who are indebted to UNCSA are not permitted to attend classes until the debt is settled.

It is recommended that you check for holds in your E-Z Arts account up through the first day of Orientation.

Check Schedule For Orientation

By June 15, an orientation schedule will be posted online to the Incoming Students Web page. An updated schedule will be provided to you the first day of orientation.

Orientation Schedule

Upload a One Card Photo

Photos may be uploaded July 8-August 12, 2019 so you can have your One Card waiting for you upon your arrival. If you don't upload a photo, One Card will take your photo the day of orientation.

Upload One Card Photo

Purchase Parking Decal

Students wanting to park a vehicle on campus must complete a vehicle registration form and pay the required fee for a parking decal. Fee information will be updated by July 1 of each year. Only one car may be parked on campus at a time. No decal will be issued without registration.

Request Student Parking Decal

Request disability-related accommodations

UNCSA students who are seeking accommodations in either the academic or living environment on campus need to submit disability-related documentation which meets the university guidelines to the following address:

Learning Resources
University of North Carolina School of the Arts
1533 S. Main St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27127

For information on the process for disclosing, requesting and receiving accommodations, along with the university’s documentation guidelines refer to Steps for Accommodations and/or additional information about services for students with disabilities. If you have questions or concerns, contact the Learning Resources Coordinator by email

Connect With Other Fighting Pickles Graduate Students

Connect with current and incoming students in your graduating class through Facebook.

Graduate Student Council

Register to receive emergency alerts

Register for UNCSA ALERT to receive emergency notifications by email, phone and text message. The cost is free, however, standard text messaging fees will apply from your carrier. Students can sign up for UNCSA ALERT with your E-Z Arts ID number and UNCSA email or phone number. You can add up to 10 phone numbers and 4 email addresses, to include parents and relatives. Parents and relatives of students can only add their contact information after their student has created an account.


For more information and step-by-step instructions to register for UNCSA ALERT visit the UNCSA Police website.