If you are considering purchasing a new computer or bringing one from home with you to the University of North Carolina School of the Arts, the Information Technologies department has recommended computer specifications to help optimize your experience with your own technology on campus.
The School of Filmmaking and the School of Design & Production for Sound Design have specific computer and software requirements.
General Recommended Computer Specifications
If you are purchasing a new system to bring to school with you, the Information Technologies department recommends these specifications:
- Dual Core Processor
- At least 2GB (gigabytes) of RAM
- DVD-ROM Drive
- Ethernet Patch Cord – Goes from computer’s network interface to the wall port in the residence hall room.
For Apple Computers:
- It is strongly suggested that at least one student per room in a residence hall have a companion printer for shared use. Additional Pay To Print services are available with your One Card.
Things To Know
- The Information Technologies Department is not a certified computer repair facility. If a student has a computer problem, the desktop support staff will perform basic troubleshooting functions for the student. If the computer needs hardware repair, IT will help the student arrange for repair with a certified computer repair facility.
- Please bring all associated disks/CDs, purchasing information, and any other documentation for the computer with you to campus to help IT help you.
- An email account will be created for each student at UNCSA. Campus communications will be delivered via this email address. You will be responsible for checking this email account on a regular basis.
- If a student arrives on campus with a computer without a Network Interface Card (NIC), the IT Department will advise the student on what to purchase and also assist in the installation of the card. Please be advised that NIC cards do not always install into an older computer easily.