UNC System names UNCSA Chancellor Search Committee
University of North Carolina System Interim President Bill Roper and University of North Carolina School of the Arts Board of Trustees Chair Ralph Womble have announced the formation of a 20-member search committee tasked with locating a candidate for the position of chancellor of UNCSA.
“I am proud of the makeup of this committee, which is composed of a group of highly respected leaders, administrators, faculty, alumni and students from UNCSA,” Roper said. “We anticipate a very transparent process with much input from the many stakeholders and members of the campus community. I am grateful to those who have agreed to help locate the perfect candidate for this very important role.”
The committee will make recommendations to the full UNCSA Board of Trustees, which will vote on candidates to recommend to Roper. Roper will then recommend a candidate to the UNC Board of Governors, which will elect the new chancellor.
“This will be an important leadership decision and our committee members are excited to engage in the process. UNCSA is known internationally and nationally for educating generations of artists and creative leaders and we are confident we will find the right person to lead us into the future,” said Womble, who will chair the search committee.
In July, Dr. Roper named Brian Cole to serve as interim chancellor effective Aug. 1. Cole, who was previously dean of the School of Music at UNCSA, assumed his new role following the departure of Lindsay Bierman, who stepped down July 31 after five years as chancellor of UNCSA. Bierman was appointed by Dr. Roper as the new chief executive officer of UNC-TV Public Media North Carolina and assumed that role on August 12. Both UNCSA and UNC-TV Public Media North Carolina are a part of the University of North Carolina System.
In addition to Ralph Womble, the UNCSA Chancellor Search Committee will consist of:
- Board of Trustees representatives Phillip Horne, Elizabeth Madden and Erna Womble
- Student Government President Maura Wetzel
- Alumni representatives Erin Edge and Mark Land
- UNCSA Foundation representatives Peter Juran and Nola Miller
- Community representatives John Hoemann, Jerri Irby, Charlie Lucas and Anne Rainey Rokahr
- Faculty representatives Cameron Knight, Beth Thompson and Mike Wakeford
- Staff representatives Susan Jaffe, Ed Lewis and Elizabeth White
- Ex-officio member Tom Kenan