Applicants to the High School Contemporary Dance program and High School Ballet program are required to audition for admission into the UNCSA School of Dance. You may audition live at one of our scheduled audition dates or via a video link. Live auditions for all applicants include a short ballet class and short contemporary class.
Preparing for Your Audition
At the time of check-in for your audition you will submit the following photographs. The applicant's name should be written on the back of all photos. Professional photos are not required:
- All Applicants: 5 x 7 photograph facing front, pointe tendu in second with arms in second
- Female Ballet Applicants: 5 x 7 photograph in first or second arabesque on pointe
- Male Ballet Applicants: 5 x 7 photograph in first or second arabesque
- All Contemporary Dance Applicants: 5 x 7 photograph in a contemporary position
What To Wear
- Applicants must wear dance practice clothes. No particular leotard color is required. Ballet slippers will be needed for the ballet portion and bare feet will be necessary for the contemporary portion.
- Do not wear any jewelry.
- Wear your hair up.
Live Audition Requirements
All dance auditions for both ballet and contemporary applicants begin with a short ballet class, followed by a short contemporary class. A faculty member demonstrates the dance combinations to be executed.
In addition to the above requirements, female ballet applicants may be asked to do pointe work.
In addition to the above requirements, contemporary dance applicants must be prepared to present a self-choreographed solo, one to two minutes in length, danced to classical music. Examples of classical music composers are Bach, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mozart or Copland. The classical music you choose for the audition solo can be on compact disc and cued appropriately, or on a smartphone.
Video Audition Requirements
- Email video link to Brenda Daniels at email@example.com.
- All videos must be received no later than Wednesday, March 14, 2018.
- Applicants must wear practice clothes. No particular color is required.
Applicants must include the following steps on their video:
- At the barre – plié, port de bras, tendu, tendu jeté, rond de jambe par terre, frappé, fondu, rond de jambe en l’air de coté, développé and grand battement.
- In the center – battement tendu with epaulement, pirouette, petite allegro and grand allegro.
- A solo or classical variation. Women must present their solo on pointe.
- Ballet solos should be one to two minutes in length.
- At the barre – plié, tendu/degage (straight and with plie from fifth), rond de jambe, passé développé (front, side and back), grand battement and a balance on one leg.
- In the center – a one to two minute self-choreographed solo; must be performed to classical music. Examples of classical music are Bach, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mozart and Copland.