Policies and Calendar
Policies and Calendar
Spring Semester 2021
|First Day of Private Lessons||Monday, February 1|
|First Day of Saturday Group Classes||Saturday, February 6|
|CLOSED for Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools Spring Break||April 2 to April 10|
|CLOSED for Memorial Day Holiday Weekened||
May 29 to May 31
|Inclement Weather Make-Up Lesson Days||
June 1 - 3, 7 - 11
|Last Day of Spring Semester Classes**||
|Winds and Brass Studios Recital*||
Saturday, May 22nd at 2:00 PM
|Deborah Suarez Piano Studio Recitals*||
Sunday, May 16 at 2:00 PM (pt. 1)
Sunday, May 16 at 3:30 PM (pt. 2)
|String Studios Recital*||Sunday, May 23 at 2:00 PM|
|Voice Studios Recitals*||
Saturday, May 15 at 2:00 PM (pt. 1)
Saturday, May 15 at 4:30 PM (pt. 2)
|Guitar Studios Recital*||Saturday, May 15 at 12 PM|
|Adult Students' Recital||TBD|
Piano Studios Recital*
Studios of Timmons, Tippette, Chumbley, Wasserman, Hunkle, and Bierly
|Sunday, June 6 at 2:00 PM|
Piano Studios Recital*
Studios of Roubtsova, Waldron, Shteinberg, Nezhdanova, and Burton
|Sunday, June 6 at 4:30 PM|
|Suzuki Violin Dress Rehearsal||Friday, June 4 at 2:00 PM|
|Suzuki Violin Recital*||Saturday, June 5 at 2:00 PM|
|Honors Recital||Sunday, June 20 at 2:00 PM in Watson Hall|
All recitals in Crawford Hall on the campus of UNCSA unless otherwise notated.
*Studio recitals are mandatory for students 18 and younger. Adult students are encouraged to perform as well, but may elect to perform in the adult students' recital instead.
** Spring semester enrollments total 16 weekly lessons/classes. Refer to your billing statement for a full list of dates covered by your registration.
Summer Sesson 2021
|First Day of Summer Session Private Lessons and Group Classes||Saturday, June 12|
|Independance Day Holiday||Sunday, July 4|
|Last Day of Summer Session||Friday, Aug 6|
|CMS Closed for Summer Break||August 7-September 6|
Fall Semester 2021
|First Day of Fall Semester Private Lessons||Tuesday, September 7|
|Last Day of Fall Semester Private Lessons||Friday, December 24|
Please carefully read the following information. These policies are in effect to foster and promote the pursuit of musical excellence at the UNCSA Community Music School. When you establish a lesson time, you have reserved the time of a highly trained professional. Make every effort to attend your lessons on a regular basis. Your musical progress and enjoyment increase with regular instruction and consistent practice routine at home.
- Studio assignments are made based on the student’s preferred teacher and that teacher’s availability.
- Students may begin lessons on a four week trial period before a permanent semester lesson time is set.
- Students may transfer to another available teacher’s studio before the third lesson of their semester’s study, but are encouraged to do so only at the start of a new semester.
- If a CMS faculty member is absent for more than three consecutive weeks, students have the option of transferring to another studio. If the CMS faculty member is unable to continue semester lessons for any reason, a substitute teacher will be provided, or the student is eligible for pro-rated tuition.
- Classes occur at the same day and time for the duration of the semester or trial period.
- Students arriving late may not extend the lesson beyond the scheduled end time.
- If a student is fifteen minutes late to a lesson and has not given notice, the teacher may consider the lesson forfeit.
- Students are highly encouraged to attend applicable weekly group classes as their schedule allows, and are expected to participate in studio masterclasses and the semester-end recital.
- Students may request one rescheduled lesson a semester with at least 24 hours’ notice, to take place with their teacher or a substitute teacher, within two weeks of the intended missed lesson. If a lesson cannot be made up within two weeks, the lesson is forfeit. Teachers are not required to make up subsequent lessons missed by the student, whether or not notice is given.
- Student cancellations of regularly scheduled lessons with less than 24 hours’ notice result in forfeited tuition and are not eligible for rescheduling.
- Students may arrange to exchange lesson times with another student within their studio. Such arrangements must be approved by the teacher, and notice given to the CMS office.
- In the event of a family or medical emergency, the student may schedule a make-up lesson with the teacher to take place within two weeks of the missed lesson. If a lesson cannot be made up within two weeks, the lesson is forfeit.
- If there are multiple students within one family, each student’s attendance is treated individually. Scheduling conflicts of one family member may not affect the lesson attendance of the other.
- As a courtesy, students should inform both their teacher and the CMS office of an impending absence with a minimum of 24 hours’ notice, whether or not the lesson is eligible for rescheduling.
- Teacher cancellations of regularly scheduled lessons are to be rescheduled within two weeks of the missed lesson, to take place with the teacher or a substitute teacher, within the student’s availability. Lessons that cannot be made up are eligible for pro-rated tuition.
- If a teacher intends to take vacation during the semester, the student will receive notice at the beginning of the semester, and their tuition will be pro-rated to reflect the missed lesson(s).
Inclement Weather Policy
- In the event of inclement weather or other conditions that result in school closings, CMS will follow both the Winston Salem/Forsyth County Public Schools and UNCSA. If either closes during lesson times, CMS will also close. In the event of a delayed opening in Forsyth County Schools, CMS lessons will resume at the same time as the delayed opening.
- Lessons cancelled due to school closure may be rescheduled within two weeks of the missed lesson, by the teacher or a substitute teacher. Lessons that cannot be made up are eligible for pro-rated tuition.
Payment and Refunds
- Payments can be made online, over the phone, or by check mailed to 1533 S Main St, Winston Salem, NC 27127, with the attention made to “Community and Summer Programs.” Write the student’s name and program in the memo line.
- Payment should never be given to the teacher directly.
- A $25 service fee will be charged for returned checks.
- Payment for four-lesson trials must be made in full in advance of the first scheduled lesson.
- Payment for the remainder of the semester is made at the beginning of the semester.
- No refunds are given to students who withdraw from lessons after the third lesson of the semester.
- If due to a medical emergency or relocation, the student is unable to finish the semester, CMS may, at its discretion, offer a refund credit for unused lessons.
- If a refund credit is ever due to a student, the student must provide information as to how the refund may be received. After the greater of 30 days and 3 attempts by CMS to contact the student using the contact information in the student’s registration, the refund credit is forfeit.
Requests for refunds/withdrawals must be made in writing to the director of the UNCSA Community Music School and the Community and Summer Programs Office.