What College Students Need to Pack
Not sure what to pack? Don't worry, we've got your packing list of materials, supplies and suggestions to bring to campus on move-in day as well as your first day of classes.
What your art school requires you to bring
Each art school has a list of materials and supplies unique to that art conservatory.
Due to the nature of our school and the type of movement classes that you will be
participating in, we have listed items that you are required to bring with you at
the beginning of the school year.
Most items need not be new, but in good enough condition to withstand daily usage (see additional notes for each item listed). Most specialized clothing and shoes listed can be found at many sporting goods’ stores and/or dance supply stores.
All students must have:
- Gym/Athletic clothing: form-fitting clothing like jazz or yoga pants, and long and/or short-sleeve tops for multiple classes & rehearsals. No baggy clothing.
- Black, form-fitting athletic pants, sweat pants, jogging pants, runner’s tights, or footless tights. Two pairs for Movement class.
- 2-3 Black, form-fitting short and/or long-sleeved shirts.
- No stripes, logos, tank tops or spaghetti straps for Movement class
- One pair of rubber soled sport, athletic or running shoes for Movement/Combat/Theater Dance classes. These shoes should not have been, or be, worn outside. Shoes are to be for indoor/studio use only.
- 2 dress shirts (men) or blouses (women)-1 white, 1 black or grey-for multiple classes & rehearsals
- 1 pair of comfortable fingerless or light leather gloves e.g. baseball, weight lifting or cycling gloves)-for Combat class
- 1 set of Kneepads (optional) for personal use in Combat class, school kneepads are provided in class
- Tap Shoes for 2nd year Dance Class.
Females must also have:
- Jazz Shoes (1 pair flats, 1 pair heels)
- Sports Bras (2 or more) for multiple classes & rehearsals
- Rehearsal Skirts, ankle-length & knee length for multiple classes & rehearsals
- Women’s Character Shoes (short heel) for multiple classes & rehearsals
Males must also have:
- Jazz Shoes (flat)
- Dance belt (Tight-fitting athletic supporter or compression shorts may be substituted) for Musical Theater Dance class
- Men’s Jacket & Tie (necktie and bow tie) for multiple classes & rehearsals
- Black dress slacks for multiple classes & rehearsals
- Men's Black Dress & Black Socks for multiple classes & rehearsals
Other items for all:
- Personal voice recorder or Smartphone with voice recording capability or app
- Pocket dictionary or access to online dictionary (many free apps now available)
- Combination pad lock
- Pens, pencils, highlighters, 3 ring binders (2), notebook or loose-leaf paper
- Printer for your laptop and extra ink - highly recommended
- Moleskin Plain Notebook/Jurnal Style, 5 x 8 ¼ -available on Amazon or most stores that carry office/school supplies
Dancers should read and be familiar with the Dance Handbook for Undergraduate Students.
Complete the following forms and return them to the School of Dance during registration:
- Dancer Information
- Dance Class Participation
- Release of Liability
- Release for photography, videography and cinematography
- Pilates Release
- Read School of Dance Policies
- Stage Makeup
All Women (Ballet and Contemporary majors):
- pink tights
- black leotards
- pink ballet slippers
- pointe shoes (optional for contemporary)
- black footless tights or black unitards
All Ballet Women:
- Black character shoes with 1/2 or 1 inch heels
- black mid-calf circular character skirt
- pink ballet briefs
- medium-sizes "diamond" stud earrings
All Contemporary Women:
- skin-toned bra and thong
- black tights
- white leotards/for-fitting T-shires
- black ballet slippers
- black footless tights or black unitards
- dance belts: black, white, skin-toned
- black lace-up jazz shoes
Incoming students in the UNCSA School of Filmmaking are required to have a Mac computer for their class and production work, along with specific software. The School of Filmmaking has developed partnerships with Apple Inc., Adobe Systems Incorporated and Final Draft, Inc. to provide the latest technology at the best prices available.
UNCSA School of Filmmaking requires all incoming students to purchase three items:
- A MacBook Pro computer with the latest operating system;
- The AppleCare warranty (to keep your computer working); and
- Final Draft screenwriting software.
Follow the instructions below on how to get your Apple MacBook Pro (with AppleCare Warranty) and Final Draft software.
Apple MacBook Pro (with warranty)
All incoming students are required to have an Apple MacBook Pro. The 15" size is recommended to allow more window space for editing. You should purchase the model that has at least a 2.8 GHz i7 processor, a minimum of 16 GB RAM, a minimum of 512GB of SSD storage, and the Radeon Pro 555 graphics card with 2GB memory.
The less expensive 13" MacBook Pro can be used, but is not optimal for Post Production. If you choose to buy a 13" model, choose one with at least a 2.3 GHz i5 processor, at least 16 GB RAM, a minimum of 512 GB of SSD storage, and the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 graphics card.
We recommend that all incoming students purchase a Tripp-Lite U442-DOC 1 USB-C Docking Station (or an equivalent) to provide substantially more connectivity for their laptop, as well as an external USB3 hard drive (at least 1 terabyte) with Thunderbolt or USB3 interface, for editing and backup purposes. We strongly recommend adding the AppleCare warranty option to protect your computer investment.
Once you have entered our custom online Apple Store for Education:
- Select a MacBook Pro portable computer.
- Select any special options to customize your computer.
- Add the AppleCare warranty to your checkout cart at the Apple Store.
The MacBook Pros are not pre-bundled with screenwriting or editing software. You will have to purchase these programs separately. We have arranged for you to obtain the software at a discounted student price. Prices are subject to change.
Adobe Creative Cloud Software License
Adobe Creative Cloud is available to all currently enrolled UNCSA students as part of their tuition and fees. Students will receive an invitation via their UNCSA email address with instructions on how to access and/or download the apps for mobile and desktop.
Final Draft Software
All incoming students are required to purchase Final Draft Screenwriting software. You can purchase this software for a one-time educational discount of $129.
Expect to spend $500 for required textbooks in this year. Any required textbooks will be listed on the syllabus for each of your courses. Arrive prepared for your classes by having all of the required equipment, especially your Apple MacBook Pro laptop, along with notebooks, pens and pencils.
You will need the following items to work on set safely and responsibly. These items are available in the Winston-Salem area, but you are encouraged to purchase them in you area and bring them with you.
- One pair of leather palm work gloves
- A crescent wrench
- A Swiss Army knife or multi-purpose tool such as the Leatherman or Gerber tools
- A weatherproof backpack or book bag
- A box of Sharpie markers
- A small Maglite or flashlight
- A pair of good stereo headphones for listening to sound on your computer
- A warm weatherproof coat for any wet, late-night productions
- Supply of C47s (Wooden Clothespins);
- Class 3 or higher, 32GB or 64GB SD or SDHC Media Card
Music students are responsible for providing the necessary music materials and supplies for art-related study. Some items are needed by all music students, while other items are specific to a particular instrument or area of study. Below are two lists, one giving items all music students should have and the other giving representative examples of items specific to individual students. Regardless of the category, once a student is told they need a particular item it is their responsibility to acquire that item promptly.
Items needed by Undergraduate Music students:
- Pencil with a working eraser, to be brought to every lesson and rehearsal;
- Notebook(s), to be used during lessons, master classes, and other activities;
- Music (manuscript) paper;
- Some kind of datebook (either digital or paper);
- Fold-up music stand to be used during individual practice, chamber ensemble rehearsals, and master classes [this is only for brass, guitar, harp, string, and woodwind students];
- Concert dress clothes (the appropriate clothes to have will be determined by the ensemble in which you are assigned to perform); and
- Required textbooks for the theory, aural skills, and keyboard skills classes. You will need to be prepared to purchase these textbooks, all of which are available through the UNCSA Virtual Campus Bookstore. While the exact texts you need will be determined by the placement evaluations you will take on Tuesday and Wednesday (and hence cannot be reliably purchased prior to those assessments), you should budget approximately $450 for these required materials so that you can purchase them before the first day of class. (Please know the faculty are aware the cost of textbooks is significant and do everything possible to minimize the overall costs. Also understand that while the initial financial outlay is significant, several of the texts will be used for all four semesters of the Foundations of Music sequence, thus providing a longer-range economy.)
Items specific to Individual Music students (representative examples):
- Supplies for your instrument, such as strings, rosin, valve oil, etc.;
- Music for your lessons, such as performance repertoire (sonatas, concerti, song collections) and etude books; and
- Any other supplies your teacher wants you to have for your lesson and master class work.
Design & Production
Please be sure to have the following items before arriving on campus and before the start of your classes in the School of Design & Production. Contact the head of your program if you have questions.
- Computer - Mac or PC is defined by area of concentration.
Sound Design Student Requirements:
Apple MacBook Pro:
- Thunderbolt Port
- Ethernet port or Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter
- 8 GB minimum system RAM
- 51 GB or more of available storage space for Logic sound libraries
- AppleCare Protection Plan
Software: Apple LogicX available via the Mac App Store
- 250 GB minimum size
- SSD preferred by rotational HDD acceptable
- Thunderbolt cable
- Bus Powered drive, highly recommended
Class Supplies & Textbooks
Students are personally responsible for obtaining their own supplies and equipment for all classes including Production (such as drafting equipment, shop hand tools and drawing and design supplies), as well as required (or recommended) textbooks for courses. Expenditures will be heaviest during the first year, as students make major investments in equipment that they will use for the rest of their professional careers. Students not already owning some of the necessary equipment and supplies needed should be prepared to spend $500 to $750 or more during the early part of their first year. Many incoming students have questions about equipment, tools and supplies. Listed below are a number of items that, if you already own, you should bring with you. If you do not already own these items, please wait until you arrive to acquire them so that your instructors can give you guidance on the types of equipment and quality you should be looking for.
- Drafting equipment and supplies
- Drawing and painting supplies (brushes, paints, paper, scissors, etc.)
- A good drawing or drafting lamp for use in your own room
- Basic shop hand tools: One nail apron
- One 16 ounce claw hammer
- One #2 Phillips screwdriver
- One #2 Square Head drive (Prop majors only)
- One pair of pliers
- One pair of end cutting nippers
- One Architect’s scale ruler
- One 8 inch Crescent wrench
- One utility (matte) knife
- One combination square or speed square
- One 16 foot tape measure (minimum)
- One 3/8 drive ratchet with 7/16 and 9/16 sockets (Scenic Technology and Prop majors only)
- One flashlight
- One pair of craft scissors (Prop majors only)
- One pair of fabric scissors (Prop majors only)
- One container to keep it all in
- One NIOSH-approved respirator with organic vapor cartridges and pre-filters. (welding gas and dust filters as needed)
- One pair of ANSI-approved Safety Glasses
- Several pair of foam-type hearing protectors or head-set style ear protection
- One ANSI-approved Hard Hat
- One pair of work gloves
All new Design and Production students are required to own a NIOSH-approved respirator with organic vapor cartridges and pre-filters. This is for your safety and benefit. These respirators are designed to prevent the breathing of harmful substances. These substances include particulates, dusts, fogs, mists, sprays, smokes, vapors or gasses.
On Sunday, August 20, each student will be scheduled for a respirator fitting and testing. At that time, you may purchase a 3M 6000 series mask with replaceable organic vapor cartridges and replaceable N95 Pre-filters. It is mandatory that you be tested for proper fit of your respirator and be trained in how and when to use it in a safe manner.
The cost for both the 3M Respirator and fit test is $45 ($ 20 for the fit testing and $ 25 for the respirator). In addition, the required safety glasses and hard hats are offered for sale for $10 for the set. An extra pack of cartridges and filters are available for $15 for the set. Safety glasses are $5. These items and services may be paid by cash or check only. Credit cards are not accepted. The company performing the fit testing and providing the masks is Rayco Safety, Inc., from Yadkinville, NC. http://www.raycosafety.com.
Note: If you already own a NIOSH-approved respirator and are certain you can purchase replacement filters in Winston-Salem, and can pass a qualitative fit test, you will only need to pay for the fit-testing. If you have a medical reason for not wearing a respirator, bring documentation with you to the first D&P or Visual Arts orientation meeting.
What to pack for living in a residence hall
Bedding & Accessories
- Duvet/duvet cover
- 2-3 sheet sets
- Mattress pad
- Mattress protector
- Mattress topper
- Body pillow/decorative pillows
- Throw rug
- Desk Lamp or Clip Lamp
- Desk Organizers
- Message Board/ Bulletin Board
- Lap Desk
- Book Light
Storage & Organization
- Under bed storage containers
- Stacking drawers
- Drawer organizers
- Closet organizers
- Accessory organizers
- Curtain panels/closet rod
- Storage totes
- Storage cart
- Shoe rack
- Shower tote/caddy
- Shower slippers/flip flops
- Toothbrush/soap case
- Electric toothbrush
- Hair brush
- Hair care caddy
- Hair dryer
- Make-Up mirror
- Personal care and grooming items
Electronics and Audio
- Surge protector
- Laptop computer and accessories
- Ear buds
- Alarm clock
- Microwave (up to only 700 watts)
- Mini fridge (No larger than 4 cubic feet)
- 10/100 Ethernet cable (optional)
- Multi-plug strip
- TV and cable cords (optional)
- Portable phone charger
- Printer, paper and ink cartridges (optional)
- Plate, bowl, cup, mug, water bottle and eating utensils
- Chip clips, can opener and food storage containers
- Coffeemaker or electric kettle (No hotplates or electric burners allowed)
- Water pitcher & filters
- Laundry basket or hamper and laundry detergent
- Stick vacuum/broom & dust pan
- Cleaning cloth/all-purpose cleaner
- Waste basket
- Pots & pans to use in kitchen (optional)
- Umbrella/rain jacket
- Box fan
- Floor lamp