General Education Requirements for B.F.A. and B.M.

The typical course load for UNCSA college students pursuing the Bachelor of Fine Arts or a Bachelor of Music is two general education courses per semester in addition to arts classes.

Depending upon your academic background, the First Year Seminar and a Writing About course will be common to all first year students. These two courses are not sequential, so you can take them in either term but they must be completed in your first year. Fall semester you will select and register online for either a section of First Year Seminar [FYS 1100] OR a Writing About [ENG 1200] course that fits your schedule. 

In addition, you will register for a second course that fulfills another general education requirement. Spring semester you will register for either FYS 1100 or ENG 1200 AND choose a second general education course.  If you enter the program with transfer credit, the kind and amount of credit transferred will determine whether you are exempt from FYS 1100 and/or ENG 1200. In transfer situations, your Liberal Arts advisor will help you to choose appropriate classes that meet the requirements for your degree program. 

Summary of the Liberal Arts courses required for a B.F.A. or B.M.

Course Name Credit Hours
First Year Seminar (can be taken Fall or Spring term in first year) 3
Writing About (can be taken Fall or Spring term in first year) 3
Self, Society and Cosmos 3
Paths to the Present (select one course) 3
History, Psychology or Sociology course 3
Literature or Writing course at 2000 or 3000 level 3

Math or Science course

Humanities or Fine Arts course 3
Choice of General Education Electives* 6
General Education Credit Hours = 30

Each arts area and concentration, in cooperation with the Division of Liberal Arts, may set more specific, sometimes additional non-applied requirements appropriate to the particular field of study. See the descriptions of degree requirements in each arts area for further information.

* This includes courses offered by the Division of Liberal Arts, and with specific permission by the Dean of Liberal Arts, can include courses offered by one of the Art Schools, provided that the course is outside the student’s major area of concentration (Dance, Design and Production, Drama, Film or Music).

Helpful Links