State Authorization Student Complaints for Distance Education State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)

The United States Department of Education requires that institutions comply with applicable state approval or licensure requirements in each state to which distance education instruction is delivered.  Students have the right to file a complaint against an institution when these requirements are not followed, or regarding the loss of tuition and fees as a result of unfair business practices.

Institutions must provide both current and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting body and the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in a student’s resident state.

If you have a complaint about UNCSA distance education programs, the following procedures may be followed:

Required Complaint Procedures

Optional Complaint Procedures

  • If you are from a state that is not a member of SARA, you may file a complaint with your home state’s State Authorization Agency.
  • UNCSA is a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina System.  You may file a complaint with the UNC Post-Secondary Student Complaints Licensure Division.
  • UNCSA is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award bachelors, masters, and professional degrees and certificates.  You may file a complaint through the SACSCOC Complaint Procedure.