Undergraduate Drama Admissions
The UNCSA School of Drama offers an undergraduate Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with concentrations in Acting and Directing. Along with your online application and required documents, you will audition and interview with arts faculty. Admission decisions are based on a combination of your artistic and academic merits.
Deadlines & Audition Dates
|Applications Submitted & Fee Received By||Available Audition Dates (by invitation only)|
|January 3, 2020||
New York City
The admissions application opens on August 30, 2019. All auditions are limited occupancy and will fill up quickly. Audition dates are available for registration based on submitting your application and application fee. Audition registration will be first come, first served. Once a date is full occupancy, you will need to choose from the other available dates.
Applicants should have or be on track to receive a high school diploma or equivalent with the following academic subjects:
|English||4||Four units in English emphasizing grammar, composition, and literature|
|Foreign Language||2||Two consecutive credits of the same language. American Sign Language is acceptable|
|Social Studies||2||Includes a U.S. History credit|
|Mathematics||3||Includes Algebra I, Algebra II and Geometry or a higher level course|
|Science||3||Three course units in science including a life or biological science course, a physical science course and at least one laboratory course|
Note: Early College High School Graduates
This legislation only applies to seniors graduating from North Carolina Cooperative Innovative High Schools (Early Colleges) who will earn an Associate’s degree in addition to a high school diploma.
All other Early College students will be evaluated using standard freshman criteria. Applicants from North Carolina Cooperative Innovative High Schools (CIHS) receive special consideration in the admission review for UNC system universities based on North Carolina law.
According to House Bill 97 Section 11.16.(a) “any student who graduated from a cooperative innovative high school program with an associate degree and who applies for admission to the constituent institution has the option of being considered for admission as a freshman or as a transfer student.” This link http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/cihs/ will tell you if your school is a CIHS.
Being “considered” refers to the evaluation of your credentials and not your student type. Regardless of how you are evaluated, you are considered a new freshman upon enrollment. You will be a freshman with college credit.
If you feel strongly that your standardized test scores or high school GPA will hinder you in the freshman review, please don’t hesitate to contact an admissions counselor to discuss the transfer review option. Admission to UNCSA is by audition and or interview and all applicants to the undergraduate program are considered first time freshmen. The School makes every effort to place the student at the arts level that best reflects his or her proficiency.
High School or College GPA of 2.5 or higher. The average GPA for an entering UNCSA undergraduate student is 3.5.
ACT or SAT Scores
Applicants should submit ACT or SAT test scores with the following minimum score requirements:
- SAT: 880 composite score in Critical Reading & Math (or 800 for SAT scores prior to March 2016)
- ACT: 17 (writing portion optional).
The average SAT Critical Reading, Math & Writing score of applicants is 1200 and the average ACT score is 24.
International applicants should submit official ACT, SAT, TOEFL or IELTS scores. Minimum score requirements for international students are:
- ACT: English Writing Component of 21
- SAT: Verbal & Writing Minimum of 500/500
- TOEFL: 79 internet-based, 550 paper-based, or 213 computer-based
- IELTS: 6.5
Completed Application, Fees & Required Documents
1. Complete the online application.
2. Pay your Application Fee: $95 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents, $130 for international applicants. Application fees are non-refundable.
- Online: Follow payment instructions at the end of the application or on your application status portal.
- Check or Money Order (through a U.S. bank): Make payable to "UNCSA" and include your full legal name. Mail your payment and fully legible name of the applicant to the Office of Admissions.
- Fee Waiver: Submit an SAT, ACT or NACAC Fee Waiver Request signed by your high school counselor. If you are applying through CFNC, select the "Check/Money Order" option.
- International Applicants: Use Flywire to pay your application fee online through an international bank or pay by check or money order through a U.S. bank as listed above.
3. Upload all Required Application Documents by your application materials deadline above prior to your scheduled audition.
Please note: If you are applying to two different UNCSA art schools (Music, Drama, Design & Production and Dance) you will need to complete a second application and pay a second application fee.