Undergraduate Music Admissions
UNCSA offers Bachelor of Music (BM) undergraduate degrees with several instruments of study in the School of Music. Along with your online application and required application documents, you will audition with the music faculty. Admission to the UNCSA School of Music program is based on a combination of your artistic and academic merits.
Deadlines & Audition Dates
Completed Application Due: January 31, 2020
Applications may be submitted after the deadline upon approval. Please contact the Music Admissions Counselor:
Instrumental & Composition Applicants
|Available Audition Dates|
Friday, January 24, 2020
Friday, February 7, 2020
Friday, February 21, 2020 - not eligible for scholarship consideration
|Available Audition Dates|
Saturday, January 25, 2020
Saturday, February 8, 2020
Saturday, February 22, 2020 - not eligible for scholarship consideration
**March 6, 2020: Music Admission & Scholarship notification date
Choice of audition dates depends on when you complete your online application and submit your required application documents. More choices of audition dates will be available to you the earlier you apply.
Applicants should have or be on track to receive a high school diploma or equivalent with the following academic subjects:
|English||4||Four units in English emphasizing grammar, composition, and literature|
|Foreign Language||2||Two consecutive credits of the same language. American Sign Language is acceptable|
|Social Studies||2||Includes a U.S. History credit|
|Mathematics||3||Includes Algebra I, Algebra II and Geometry or a higher level course|
|Science||3||Three course units in science including a life or biological science course, a physical science course and at least one laboratory course|
Note: Early College High School Graduates
This legislation only applies to seniors graduating from North Carolina Cooperative Innovative High Schools (Early Colleges) who will earn an Associate’s degree in addition to a high school diploma.
All other Early College students will be evaluated using standard freshman criteria. Applicants from North Carolina Cooperative Innovative High Schools (CIHS) receive special consideration in the admission review for UNC system universities based on North Carolina law.
According to House Bill 97 Section 11.16.(a) “any student who graduated from a cooperative innovative high school program with an associate degree and who applies for admission to the constituent institution has the option of being considered for admission as a freshman or as a transfer student.” This link http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/cihs/ will tell you if your school is a CIHS.
Being “considered” refers to the evaluation of your credentials and not your student type. Regardless of how you are evaluated, you are considered a new freshman upon enrollment. You will be a freshman with college credit.
If you feel strongly that your standardized test scores or high school GPA will hinder you in the freshman review, please don’t hesitate to contact an admissions counselor to discuss the transfer review option. Admission to UNCSA is by audition and or interview and all applicants to the undergraduate program are considered first time freshmen. The School makes every effort to place the student at the arts level that best reflects his or her proficiency.
High School or College GPA of 2.5 or higher. The average GPA for an entering UNCSA undergraduate student is 3.5.
ACT or SAT Scores
Applicants should submit ACT or SAT test scores with the following minimum score requirements:
- SAT: 880 composite score in Critical Reading & Math (or 800 for SAT scores prior to March 2016)
- ACT: 17 (writing portion optional).
The average SAT Critical Reading, Math & Writing score of applicants is 1200 and the average ACT score is 24.
International applicants should submit official ACT, SAT, TOEFL or IELTS scores. Minimum score requirements for international students are:
- ACT: English Writing Component of 21
- SAT: Verbal & Writing Minimum of 500/500
- TOEFL: 79 internet-based, 550 paper-based, or 213 computer-based
- IELTS: 6.5
Completed Application, Fees & Required Documents
1. Complete the online application.
2. Pay your Application Fee: $95 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents, $130 for international applicants. Application fees are non-refundable.
- Online: Follow payment instructions at the end of the application or on your application status portal.
- Check or Money Order (through a U.S. bank): Make payable to "UNCSA" and include your full legal name. Mail your payment and fully legible name of the applicant to the Office of Admissions.
- Fee Waiver: Submit an SAT, ACT or NACAC Fee Waiver Request signed by your high school counselor. If you are applying through CFNC, select the "Check/Money Order" option.
- International Applicants: Use Flywire to pay your application fee online through an international bank or pay by check or money order through a U.S. bank as listed above.
3. Upload all Required Application Documents by your application materials deadline above prior to your scheduled audition.
Please note: If you are applying to two different UNCSA art schools (Music, Drama, Design & Production and Dance) you will need to complete a second application and pay a second application fee.