International Student Support

The Office of Community and Belonging (OCB) values international students' contributions to the UNCSA community. We also understand that additional support is needed to ensure a successful transition into life as a student in the United States.

OCB partners with the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) and Designated School Officials (DSOs) to supplement offerings to create a sense of belonging.

Maggie Williams
Coordinator, Student Engagement & Administrative Services

Karim Fatkhutdinov
President International Student Association (ISA)
Instagram: @uncsa_isa

Visa Compliance

Primary Designated School Official (PDSO)
Natalie Parker

Designated School Official (DSO)
Rob Myers

Office of Admissions

It is essential not to accept any form of employment without first speaking with a DSO to determine if that opportunity can count towards student employment, curricular practical training (CPT), or optional practical training (OPT) to maintain compliance with federal regulation.

For other F-1 Visa information, including frequently asked questions about admissions, US entry processes, and student employment, visit the International Students page.

Transportation Services

Campus transportation offers transportation to local shopping plazas, bus & train stations, and airports around breaks. Shuttles can also be chartered for an additional fee. For the most up-to-date information and schedules, visit the Transportation website.

You can also utilize the Winston-Salem Transit Authority, which is the local bus system. Information about fares and trip planners can be found on their website. Additional non-campus transportation options can be found here.

Writing Center

The Writing Center provides tutoring in English as a Second Language. The Center also supports international students in their transition to the academic culture in the United States.

Nora Streed or Hadis Ghaedi

Co-Directors, Writing Center and ESL Services

Campus Jobs

Several campus departments offer student employment opportunities. You should contact them directly as their processes, hours, and openings vary. Students are only allowed to work 20 hours per week. International students do not qualify for work-study positions. Before you accept a job, either on-campus or off-campus, you must contact to ensure all the proper paperwork is completed.

  • Library - mostly graduate students
  • Fitness Center
  • Aramark/Dining Services - UNCSA ONLY
  • Admissions - Student Ambassadors
  • Residence Life - resident assistant, graduate assistant
  • Student Affairs/Engagement - Welcome Squad, programming assistants
  • Student Assistant Teaching – mostly summer & community programs
  • Summer Intensives
  • UNCSA Housing – Summer Maintenance
  • ArtistCorps

Personal Shopping/Banking

As a part of our support for international students, we want to ensure that you have the information needed to live in the US effectively. The following recommendations are not endorsements of these companies but are offered as an option to determine if they meet your needs.

Personal Shopping Near Campus

  • Parkway Plaza Shopping Center
  • Acadia Food & Market (local grocery items, coffee shop, vegan foods, more)
  • YWCA (Fitness, Classes, etc.)
  • Family Dollar (inexpensive living basics and some food items)
  • Dollar General (affordable living basics and some food items)
  • Marketplace Mall


If you live on campus, you must request an Enrollment Certification Letter

Use the notes section to convey that you need verification to live on campus.

Bank accounts also require a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you do not have one, you must go in person to register for your account.

Phone Services

For more effective telecommunications, you may require a US-based phone service. There are several options available for you.

Food Delivery

You can have prepared food/take-out and groceries delivered to you directly. If you live on campus, use the building address instead of the general campus address. Your resident assistant would be able to provide that information for you.

Driver’s Licenses

North Carolina law enforcement authorities do not recognize international driver licenses. To obtain a driver's license, refer to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles for the required documentation.

You cannot obtain a driver's license without purchasing insurance, even if you do not own a vehicle. To learn more about non-owner car insurance, do a Google search for price quotes in North Carolina.

Local Attractions

While UNCSA is a cultural oasis, we don’t want you to miss out on the area's local attractions, entertainment, and natural parks.

October 27, 2023