New Faculty Academy
New Faculty Academy
New Faculty Academy is a series of workshops over the course of the academic year. It is programmed and hosted by the Vice Provost of Academic Affairs.
The objectives of New Faculty Academy are threefold:
- To provide an institutional framework that assists new multi-year contract faculty members in acclimating to the culture and governing policies of UNCSA
- To introduce the group to important processes embedded in their success as faculty, including peer evaluation, contract reappointment, and rank promotion
- To acquaint new faculty members with campus systems available to them, in support of their teaching and creative activity
New Multi-Year Contract faculty are required to attend all sessions of the New Faculty Academy. Participation is considered professional development and is part of faculty service.
August 8 (Tuesday), 1-6:30 p.m. – New Faculty Orientation, Semans Arts and Administration Building (SAAB), 3rd Floor
- Initial meeting with short informational sessions including presentations from the Provost, Vice Provosts, and General Counsel, followed by a reception including key administrators and staff
September 13 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m., Campus Police Conference Room
- Campus Police session to address topics including general services, weather and other emergencies, and A.L.I.C.E. training
October - Individually scheduled midsemester feedback sessions with Jill Lane, Director of the Office for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning.
November 15 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m., SAAB 306
- Student access focus
- Discussion with J.D. Jackson, Director of Learning Resources; Stephanie Cartwright, Clinicial Director, Counseling Service; and Marsha Dove, Director of Student Assistance and Support
December (Date and time to be determined)
- Reception for new faculty--more information to follow
January 24 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m., SAAB 306
- Faculty Affairs overview, with information about contract reappointment, faculty rank, and Interfolio (Please bring your laptop to this session.)
- Kim Bradfield, Director of Faculty Affairs
February 21 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 pm, SAAB 306
- Division of Institutional Integrety Session
- David Harrison, Vice Chancellor for Institutional Integrity and General Counsel
- Valerie Thelen, Chief Compliance Officer and Director of Title IX
- Jill Crainshaw, University Ombuds
March 27 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m.
- Group-selected topic of conversation
April 24 (Wednesday), 12:45-1:45 p.m., SAAB 306
- Wrap-up session and luncheon (lunch provided at 12:30 p.m.)
**Session topics and details are subject to change. All Wednesday sessions are projected to be held in the standing faculty meeting time ("golden hour") of 12:45-1:45 p.m. to facilitate attendance of faculty from all UNCSA schools and departments. Attendance is required.