General Education Requirements and Community College Course Equivalents

Division of Liberal Arts General Education Requirements
Bachelor of Fine Arts / Bachelor of Music
and NC Community College Course Equivalents

The typical course load for UNCSA college students pursuing the Bachelor of Fine Arts or Bachelor of Music is two general education courses fall semester and two general education courses spring semester, in addition to your arts courses. Depending on your academic background, in your first year you will register for FYS 1100: First Year Seminar in either fall or spring semester and an ENG 1200: Writing About in either fall or spring semester. You will also register for electives that fulfill general education requirements, as your schedule permits. If you have transfer, IB, or AP credit, your Liberal Arts advisor will help you to choose appropriate classes that fulfill your general education requirements.

Below is a summary of the Required General Education courses for a B.F.A. or B.M.

Course # Course Name Community College Course Equivalent
FYS 1100 First Year Seminar No equivalence at community college level; 12 or more college transfer credits has this requirement waived
ENG 1200 Writing About ENG 102, 111, 112, 113,114, 151, 152

Math or Science

Natural Science or Mathematics — must be at 100 level or higher; also Astronomy, Geology, Physical Science

HUM 2101 Self, Society and Cosmos HIS 111, 121 but only if student also completes HIS 112 or 122
HUM 2102-2112 Paths to the Present HIS 112 or 122
LIT or WRI Literature or Writing 2000 or 3000 level ENG 125 or higher
HIS or PSY History or Psychology History or Psychology: also Economics, Anthropology, Sociology, Political Science and Geography
PHI or HUM Philosophy or Humanities Philosophy or Humanities: also Art History, Religion
Gen Ed electives 2 General Education electives of choice Any of the above disciplines plus Foreign Languages

The typical college program for students includes the courses mentioned above, however, few students are typical at UNCSA and certain factors from your individual background will affect your choices.

Do you have AP or IB test score reports, or do you have potential transfer credit from another college or university? Make sure that you have sent final official copies of all high school and college transcripts to the Admissions Office. AP or IB test score reports should be sent to Dean Rachel Williams in the Division of Liberal Arts.

Rachel Williams, Ph.D.
Dean, Division of Liberal Arts

Helpful Links