Chapter IV: College Housing Policies

Student Housing Requirements
All full-time college freshmen and college sophomore students must reside in campus housing and participate in the meal plan.

Exceptions to the campus housing requirement include:

  • Students who are married or living with a dependent
  • Students who are domiciled with a parent within a 25 mile radius of the campus at the time of enrollment
  • Graduate or special students
  • Part-time students (less than 8 credit hours)
  • College students who are classified as a CIII (juniors) CIV (seniors)
  • Students turning 21 or over during the fall term
  • UNCSA High School graduates who are in their sophomore year 

A student may be exempt from the residency requirement based on highly unusual medical, psychological or personal reasons. To gain an exemption, the student must file a request by completing the Housing Release Application in the Housing Portal and supporting documentation with the Housing Review Board.

A student entering the college program who is under 18 before move-in day must sign a Memorandum of Understanding that outlines the conditions of their living arrangements within the college community. College students younger than 17 and three months, on the first day of class reside in the high school halls for at least one year.

Student housing is offered on a first come, first serve basis for new students not subject to the on-campus residency requirement. If a new student not subject to the residency requirement applies for on-campus housing, the Office of Residence Life Programs reserves the right to place this student into an on-campus housing wait list. If space does become available on-campus a member from Residence Life Programs would notify the student, and the student would have the option to accept or decline the on-campus assignment.

Housing Refunds
Room rates will be adjusted as follows for any changes in the housing assignment:

  • Through 1st week: 90%
  • Through 2nd week: 80%
  • Through 3rd week: 60%
  • Through 4th week: 40%
  • After 4th week: 0%

Students who receive a disciplinary suspension will not receive a refund, regardless of the date of departure.

Room Sign Up
During the Spring Semester, returning students can sign up for rooms or apartments for the following year. Students who want to remain in the same room or apartment will be allowed to sign up first via the room renewal process. Sign-ups will then proceed based on classification, with seniors and graduate students signing up next and so forth. 

Room Assignments
Priority in assignment is based on the date we receive the completed application and contract. Room assignments are made without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or political affiliation and are considered final until the scheduled and advertised room change period after the opening of school. Students will not occupy or reside in any space other than their assigned room. Students may not assign or sublet all or any part of their room. Students of opposite gender will not be randomly assigned to the same room. Students may be placed in temporary room assignments at the beginning of the year. Students may be temporarily tripled to accommodate additional students. All students involved will be notified and moved to permanent assignments as soon as possible. UNCSA reserves the right to make room assignments, to authorize or deny room and roommate changes, to consolidate vacancies, and to require a student to move from one room or residence hall to another.

UNCSA will comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act to accommodate eligible students with disabilities who may require housing in appropriately accessible residence halls. Although we try to honor roommate or building preference requests received by June 15, we may not be able to fulfill all requests.

In the event of an emergency (medical, utility, weather, terrorism, etc.), UNCSA reserves the right to take all reasonable measures, including converting the residence halls to special purpose facilities without any proportional refunds to a student’s housing charge. In such extraordinary circumstances, UNCSA may require all residents to vacate the residence halls on a 24-hour notice. Once the emergency is resolved, residents will be allowed to return upon notice from the University.

Room Check-In and Check-Out
During check-in, students receive a room key and must complete a Room Inventory via the Housing Portal within 72 hours. For check-out, students and the Resident Assistant (RA) or Resident Manager (RM) note any damages and changes to the room on the Room Condition Report (RCR) form. Students will be held responsible for any damages and discrepancies. Students can view the completed Inventory Report via the Housing Portal and dispute any discrepancies, which will provide an estimate of any damage charges that will be billed. Express check-out in Bailey Street and Center Stage is available, although students doing so waive the right to be present when the room is checked for damages and forego their right to appeal any damage charges billed to their student account.

Room Changes: There will be scheduled room change weeks in fall semester and again in spring semester during which students can submit room change requests. To request to change rooms, complete a Room Request Change Form found in the housing portal (opens in new window). The Assistant Director for Occupancy Management will review for approval.  Students must pay any difference in price before moving to the new room. The student will have 48 hours to complete the move from the assigned move date. Those making unapproved room changes will be fined $100 plus $25 for each day the student remains in the room. After the scheduled room change periods, changes will be approved only if there are extenuating circumstances. 

During the course of the year, students may find themselves living in a double room without a roommate. The student may be assigned another roommate, may be asked to consolidate by moving to another room, or may be given the opportunity to designate the room as a super single by paying an additional amount. Consolidation is done at the discretion of the Assistant Director for Occupancy Management and Hanes Student Commons.

Keys and Lockouts
Room keys are state property and may not be legally duplicated. Any student who duplicates or loses a key will be charged $50 for the lock change. (Charges for Center Stage residents are: $50 front door; $50 bedroom door; $20 mailbox key.) Students should immediately report a lost key to Residence Life Programs staff. Students may borrow a temporary key from the Residence Life Programs Office to secure the room or apartment until the lock is changed.  If a student is locked out of their room or apartment, they should contact a member of the Residence Life Programs team. For assistance with lockouts, on weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. students may visit the Residence Life Programs Office (located on the top floor of the Hanes Student Commons across from the Pickle Jar) or call the office at 336-770-3280. After 5 p.m. or on weekends, students should call the RA/RM “Rove” phone number at 336-462-7789 or stop by the Quad Office (located between Residence Halls C-D). After exhausting these options, a student may contact the UNCSA Police Department (non-emergency number: 336-770-3321

If a student is locked out of their room three or more times, they will be charged with a residential and community policy infraction.

Breaks and End of School
Residence Halls A-F close for Winter Break and Spring Break; student apartments in Bailey Street and Center Stage remain open. Students living in the residence halls who need housing on-campus over a break should make arrangements with students living in Bailey Street or Center Stage Apartments. After Spring Semester, residents must check out of their rooms or apartments within 24 hours after their last exam unless they are participating in commencement.

For details on Residence Hall opening and closing times related to breaks and the end of school, please refer to the academic calendar.

Note: A late checkout fee of $25 is assessed against any student who has not vacated the residence halls at the specified time.  An additional charge of $25 per hour is assessed for every hour the student remains after the scheduled closing time.

End of the Year Student Conduct Infractions
A college student who violates Student Code of Conduct, or whose case is pending, following their last final exam or intensive arts (as documented by your arts school) will lose residential privileges up to, and including removal from the residence halls.

Residential Common Areas
These areas are available to residential students and include the C/D Quad kitchen, the C/D Quad lounge, the E/F lounge, the E/F student laundry room, the Bailey Street student laundry room, and “The What?” Coffeehouse. Students who remove school property from the common areas will face disciplinary action, and students who damage common areas or their contents will be charged to rectify the damage. If it is not possible to determine which individual caused the damage, the residents of a floor or the entire hall will be held collectively responsible for the damages.   

  • A central kitchen is provided for residents of halls A-F with a full-size stove, microwave, and sink. Students must provide their own pots, pans, and utensils and must clean up after themselves.
  • Both C/D Quad lounge and E/F lounge are set up with furniture and television sets with local cable access.
  • A change machine is located in the laundry room area of E/F lounge for the convenience of the students. (If a refund is needed, go to the Cashier’s Office, 2nd Floor of the Welcome Center.)
  • Vending machines are located outside Residence Hall E. Proceeds go to the general scholarship fund. (For refunds, go to the Cashier’s Office.)
  • Coin- and card-operated washers and dryers are provided in the E/F lounge and in the Bailey Street laundry room. Report malfunctioning machines to the Residence Life Office by submitting a formal maintenance request. (For refunds, go to the Cashier’s Office.)
  • “The Hill” (an area beyond the “Elephants”) is designated for sunbathing and relaxing.

Residence Halls and Apartment Area Amenities:
All on-campus housing is fully wired for internet connection via the UNCSA network. In addition, Wi-Fi is available in all residential facilities. Students may not set up their own routers or networking devices in the residence halls.

  • Each floor has a hall phone with local service. Bailey Street and Center Stage apartments have one shared line per apartment.
  • Television cable service is provided in residence hall rooms and apartments. Residents are responsible for supplying the cord and television. No splicing of cable to other rooms is permitted.
  • A sink is provided in every room in Residence Halls A-F.
  • Loft and Bunk Beds:Lofting is approved in rooms in Residence Halls A-F and in Bailey Street apartments. To request a lofted or bunked bed, an online maintenance request must be submitted to the Residence Life Programs. Please note a $50 fee applies for each loft request (bunk requests do not incur any additional charges). Only staff are permitted to bunk or loft beds. Bed risers exceeding 4” in height are not permitted. Only Residence Life staff or an approved contractor may assemble or disassemble lofts and other university furniture.
  • Residents are prohibited from stacking any furniture (i.e. desks, dressers, etc.) on top of each other. Only modular furniture intended to be stacked is appropriate.

  • There are designated areas with barbecue grills available for student use located near the Bailey Street and Center Stage apartments. Please note that a fire permit must be obtained from UNCSA Police prior to use of the grills. No barbecue grills of any type may be used on balconies, porches, or under stairwells. No equipment with a propane tank may be stored in the residence hall rooms or apartments.

Residence Halls and Apartment Rules
In order to promote and maintain the residential community UNCSA has established the following regulations for all residents to respect and abide. Adherence to these policies is essential for the safety, comfort, and convenience of all residents. 

On-Campus Alcohol Policy

  • In accordance with state law and University policy, only persons 21 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages in their own living space or in living space where they are invited guests of residents 21 years of age or older.
  • Students who are 21 years of age or older may not consume alcohol in a living space with guests under 21 years of age present, unless the individual is the student's roommate.
  • Living spaces are the only place on campus where persons of legal drinking age are permitted to possess or consume alcoholic beverages. Open containers, either filled or empty in public areas (hallways, sidewalks, bathrooms, lobbies, etc.) are not permitted.
  • Displays of alcohol containers/paraphernalia which encourage unsafe drinking habits are not permitted in living spaces. Students who are under 21 are not permitted to have any alcoholic beverage container displays, decorative or otherwise, in their living space, regardless of their purpose.
  • Mixed Age Living:
    • Students who are 21 years of age or older may not consume alcohol in a living space with guests under 21 years of age present, unless the individual is the student's roommate.
    • Students who are 21 years or age or older with roommates under the age of 21 must store all alcohol in the student’s personal space (i.e. apartments: in the student’s room) or stowed out of plain view at all times
    • All empties and remaining alcohol containers must be disposed of immediately following consumption.

The following items or actions are not permitted and are subject to Fines and/or Student Conduct proceedings:

  • Possessing open flames, candles, incense, heating coils, halogen lamps, any combustible materials or any open flame devices (including toaster ovens, hot plates, portable heaters or any other appliance with an open heating element). The only electrical appliances permitted are coffee makers, microwave ovens, small refrigerators (no larger than 4.4 cubic feet), and laundry irons (students are encouraged to bring ones that have an automatic shut off feature). The total number of appliances plugged in may not exceed the number of outlets in the room. Extension cords must have a UL-approved circuit breaker. Students are encouraged to bring Energy Star®-approved or otherwise energy efficient appliances. String lights must be UL approved.
  • Apartment Appliance Policy: Due to fire and safety standards, only UL-listed and approved coffee makers, toasters, toaster ovens, instant pots, and George Foreman-type grills may be used in the designated kitchen area of student apartments. To prevent fires, never leave food unattended while cooking. The University recommends that special fire-safe mats should be used under toasters/toaster ovens, instant pots, rice cookers and as a precaution under curling irons/straighteners/flattening irons. These mats can be either fabric based padded mats or silicone based fire-safe mats.
  • Placing items capable of burning (such as, but not limited to: paper, posters, pictures, tapestries, wreaths, etc.) on more than 10 percent of walls within student rooms as per the North Carolina fire code. We recommend students use materials that will not cause damage to the wall or paint when hanging posters, etc. (i.e. poster putty, Command™ hooks, etc.) Note: Any damages to paint or walls regardless of which product was used may result in a charge at move-out.
  • Placing items on student room doors or other areas as restricted by North Carolina fire code.
  • Disposing of personal trash in restroom trash cans.
  • Hanging/attaching items or obstructing any sprinkler head or pipe.
  • 3D Printers.
  • Using or storing any potential fire hazard such as propane, charcoal, or electric grills on apartment balconies or inside rooms.
  • Covering smoke detectors or tampering with, removing, or discharging any fire extinguisher inappropriately.
  • No items may be in contact with, placed on top of, or directly in front of the HVAC unit.
  • Possessing live Christmas trees.
  • Damage to or altering the condition of the residence hall room or apartment (e.g., nails in walls or woodwork, wallpapering, installing draperies and window shades that require hardware fixed to window surfaces, painting except as allowed in the “College Residential Painting Policy,” or attaching shelving or cabinets to the walls). Existing lighting fixtures and wiring must not be changed or modified.
  • Removing any furniture provided in the residence hall rooms or apartments. All furniture must remain in the student’s room for the entire year.
  • Creating trip hazards from telephones, TV, computer or other appliance cords. Suspending lights, decorative tapestries, drapes, sheets, bedspreads or any other materials from ceilings, or attaching such objects to furniture or hanging such objects across any pathway into or out of the room or apartment. Any conditions regarded by the staff as fire hazards will be directed for students to correct immediately.
  • Possessing water-filled furniture.
  • Having pets or animals in the residence halls or apartments for any length of time, unless authorized by the Coordinator for Disability Resources (except fish in 8 gallon or less containers and service animals). Students will be charged $25 for each day an unapproved animal is in the room.
  • Failure to abide by the Emotional Support Animal (ESA) Policy.
  • Subleasing any portion of Center Stage or Bailey Street apartments.
  • Displaying any sign, advertisement, or notice outside the premises or canvassing, selling, or soliciting in the apartment community or distributing handbills, circulars, or advertisements.
  • Littering or obstructing the public halls or grounds; failing to keep the premises in a neat, clean, good, and sanitary condition; and failing to keep balconies free of all trash, trash bags, containers, boxes, rubbish, and personal belongings (except lawn furniture maintained in a neat and orderly manner).
  • Throwing, or allowing anyone to throw, objects out of the room windows, down the stair passages, or from apartment balconies.
  • Placing objects on the outer edges of the sills of windows or hanging items from the outer edge of balconies.
  • Installing or utilizing exterior clotheslines.
  • Violating the on-campus alcohol policy. 
  • Failing room or apartment inspection.
  • Unauthorized room changes.
  • Possessing an open flame or lit cigarette inside any campus facility.
  • Removing or tampering with the locks of the doors or window screens to the residence halls, propping open exterior doors, etc.
  • Failing to vacate residence hall room or apartment by the specific time posted for periodic closings.
  • Unauthorized removal of the furniture assigned to a specific room or apartment.
  • Unauthorized use of room or apartment to conduct the sale of products, to have product demonstrations or sales demonstration parties, advertising room numbers for sales purposes, having a flea market or rummage sale or engaging in door-to-door solicitation in the residence halls.
  • Spray painting in any residential facilities area including the stairwells and paved areas.
  • Violating the intervisitation policy. It is prohibited to have high school students in college residential areas.
  • Failing to dispose of personal trash in outside garbage dumpsters.
  • Leaving a building via an emergency exit during a non-emergency.

Capacity Guidelines for Student Rooms and Community Areas in Residence Halls
Single room – maximum of five people; double room – maximum of 10; community rooms – maximums as follows: C/D lounge – 20 people; E/F lounge – 20 people; Quad kitchen – nine  people; “The What?” Coffeehouse – 30 people. 

Sales and Solicitation
Students may not sell products, have product demonstrations or sales/demonstration parties, or host rummage sales in their rooms. In addition, students may not advertise their room numbers for sales purposes. Door-to-door and any other type solicitation by residents, students or guests is prohibited. 

Residents are not permitted to run private businesses from their campus residence. The use of University facilities and/or property for commercial activities by individuals or non-University organizations is prohibited, and no commercial business or activity may be conducted in or from any residential facility.

Housekeeping: Residence Life is responsible for the proper housekeeping and appearance of residence hall public areas, such as lounges, halls, bathrooms, and stairwells. Staff members sweep, mop, and wax the floors, empty the trash cans, clean the bathrooms, and stock supplies such as toilet paper. Regular working hours are 6 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Cleaning services are not provided for resident’s rooms. Students are responsible for cleaning their own space and should respect housekeepers and neighbors by cleaning up after themselves. 

Students in the residence halls should also remember there is an approximate ratio of eight people to each shower and toilet in the residence halls. Residents should be considerate of other students and take a minute to clean up after using the bath area. Toiletries left in the showers will be thrown away.

Students who encounter maintenance needs should submit a maintenance request through the Housing Portal or notify the Residence Life Programs Office to request repairs. During the workday (Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.), students can report maintenance issues to the Residence Life Programs Office, 334 Hanes Student Commons, or by calling 336-770-3280. In the evening or on weekends, emergency maintenance issues need to be reported to the staff person on duty in the Quad Office or by calling the UNCSA Police Department. Maintenance workers will knock before entering student’s rooms. When a maintenance representative arrives, they should have school identification and a work order describing the job to be done. Students may ask to see these credentials before permitting the individual into their living spaces. Students may check on the status of the repair, and/or any delays due to the need for additional parts or labor by accessing their maintenance request on the Housing Portal. Students are expected to take reasonable care of the facilities and furnishings in their residence halls or apartments. Unwarranted damage or abuse will result in disciplinary action and/or charges for the damages. 

Pest Control
Residential living areas are regularly inspected and treated if necessary. Students who are allergic to certain chemicals should contact the Residence Life Programs Office. Residents can help control pests by adhering to sanitation guidelines, which include storing all food in closed airtight containers and regularly cleaning living areas. Report pest problems to the Residence Life Programs Office or by submitting a maintenance request via the Housing Portal.

Damage to Student Belongings/Insurance
The University is not responsible for damages or loss of student belongings that are due to any event that is outside of the regular use of the buildings. This includes the expulsion of fire extinguishers, fires, floods, theft, and/or acts of vandalism. Students are encouraged to make sure that their belongings are covered under their parent/guardians’ homeowner/rental insurance or they purchase their own rental insurance or special coverage for their belongings.

Spray Paint and Sidewalk Chalk
During the course of the year, there may be times when students want to use spray paint or sidewalk chalk for their art work or to advertise an activity. In order not to damage the facilities, spray paint should only be used outside the buildings on the grass. This will keep the paint from defacing the sidewalks, stairwells, and other permanent structures. Sidewalk chalk should only be used on sidewalks and not on the walls or any brick area. The chalk needs to be on an area that will allow it to be washed away in the rain. 

Notification Procedure of a Housing Policy Infraction
The Residence Life staff will issue the Housing Policy Infraction at the time of, or as soon as possible after, the infraction. If any UNCSA faculty or staff observes a possible Housing Policy Infraction, they should email an incident report listing factual information to the Assistant Director of Occupancy Management and Hanes Student Commons.

Note: Depending on the severity of the Housing Policy Infraction, the student may be charged through the UNCSA Student Conduct Process. If this happens, please refer to the Student Code of Conduct.

  • A student who receives a Housing Policy Infraction must schedule a meeting with the Assistant Director for Occupancy Management and Hanes Student Commons within 24 hours of receiving the infraction. The meeting should take place as soon as possible. During the meeting, the Assistant Director will have an educational conversation with the student and assign an appropriate sanction.
  • The student may be given the opportunity to correct a housing policy violation in order to avoid an infraction. In this case the student will have 24 hours to correct the violation before an infraction is given.
  • The Housing Policy Infraction will be filed in the student’s Residence Life and Housing file. The Assistant Director will monitor the completion of any sanctions.
  • The student who receives the infraction may want to also discuss or appeal their infraction with the Senior Associate Director for Residence Life and Housing. This request must be in writing and signed by the student and given to the Senior Associate Director for Residence Life.

Possible Sanctions for Housing Policy Infractions
Housing Policy Infractions remain on a student’s Residence Life Programs record for the entire academic year. Any prohibited items referenced by the Housing Policy or Housing Agreement may be confiscated. Confiscated items may or may not be returned to the student pending the sole discretion of the Assistant Director for Occupancy Management and Hanes Commons. Three infractions within the same academic year become an automatic Minor Infraction as listed in the Student Code of Conduct. Possible sanctions for Housing Policy infractions include, but are not limited to:

  • Restitution of damages.
  • Financial penalty.
  • Housing Probation: An official warning that further violations would constitute grounds for loss of the privilege of living in any University housing or off-campus residency for a specified period of time or until a specific condition or conditions are met.
  • Housing Relocation: Loss of the privilege of remaining in current housing and required to relocate to other housing on campus. This may include requiring a student to move from residential housing on campus to off-campus housing.
  • Apartment Living Suspension: Loss of the privilege of registering in the next housing selection process and barred from residing in a University apartment for a specified period of time. A student will not be prevented from living in University housing, but will be restricted to a traditional residence hall.
  • Housing Suspension: Loss of the privilege of living in any University housing for a specified period of time or until a specific condition or set of conditions are met.
  • Housing Expulsion: Loss of the privilege of living in any University housing at any time. The student's parent(s) /guardian will be notified if they are a dependent.
  • Working at the SPCA (for pet violations)
  • Campus service hours such as:
  • Taking out the trash in the morning
  • Cleaning the residence hall, Connector common areas, or state vehicles
  • Cleaning the residence hall bathrooms
  • Sweeping the steps and sidewalks
  • Picking up trash outside
  • Cleaning signs around campus
  • Cleaning up in the dining hall or Pickle Jar area
  • Making ice bags
  • Planning appropriate programming

Campus service hours will be supervised and may occur early in the morning, before classes, and on the weekends.