Chapter III: Other Policies of Interest to Students
UNCSA policies are gathered in a variety of locations, including the UNCSA Policy Manual, the various yearly UNCSA Bulletins, College Student Handbook, and the yearly student handbooks of the various arts schools and/or programs. Students are encouraged to review the table of contents of pertinent publications to aid them in locating and identifying policies of importance to students and their individual situations.
This chapter does NOT cover all policies students need to know. In addition, while the following chapter contains brief summaries of some policies, students should read and familiarize themselves with the actual policy documents, as all students are responsible for complying with the policies.
- Privacy of Student Records: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. (FERPA Regulation – #803)
- Inclement Weather: The decision whether to close or delay school will normally be made before 6 a.m. In addition to information sent via the Campus Updates for Emergencies System (UNCSA ALERT), UNCSA will also contact the following television and radio stations: WXII (Channel 12/Cable 11); WFMY (Channel 2/Cable 9); FOX8 (Channel 8/ Cable 10); WFDD (88.5 FM); WTQR (104.1 FM); and WSJS (600 AM). Current closing information is also available by calling the UNCSA’s after-hours answering machine at 336-770-3399. (Adverse Weather Regulation – #101)
- Information and Technology Policies: Connection to the UNCSA network constitutes acceptance of the terms of these policies. (Technology Use Regulation – #508)
- Animals on Campus: Generally summarized, all animals on campus must be attended and leashed, and no animals except approved and documented service/comfort animals and small fish are allowed in buildings. (Animals on Campus Regulation – #103)
- Student Commons Poster Policy: See Appendix F of this Student Handbook.
- Policy for the Prevention of Bias-Related Harassment and Procedures for Investigations of Alleged Infractions: Generally, this policy sets forth UNCSA’s prohibitions on harassment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or political affiliation, including sexual harassment, and this policy also sets forth reporting and investigation requirements (Prohibited Harassment & Title IX Regulation – 121).
- Facilities Use Policy: Students desiring to reserve campus facilities should consult this policy in the UNCSA policy manual. (Facilities Use Policy – #402)
- Center Stage Tunnel Wall Regulation: The walls and ceilings inside the pedestrian tunnel under Haled Street are a University
venue for use by students to communicate their messages and artwork to those passing
through the tunnel. Students should exercise good judgment, safe practices and respect
for the rights of others when expressing themselves artistically in this venue. Subject
to constitutional limitations and applicable laws, the UNCSA administration reserves
the right to remove statements or art that are illegal or in violation of UNCSA policies.
No lead-based paint is allowed.
- All are encouraged to show courtesy and respect to others by allowing new messages to remain for a reasonable period of time, but students should understand that painting the tunnel does not insure sole access to its use, and others may paint over your information or art.
- The Statement, “No Painting Beyond This Point” shall be placed at the northern and southern extremes or the tunnel. Campus Police shall enforce restrictions associated with this regulation. Persons or parties established as being in violation, may be found in violation of laws of the State of North Carolina (including General Statute 14-132(a)(2)) and of the UNCSA Student Code of Conduct. Reimbursement for any restoration costs (e.g., paint removal, cleaning, removal of residual substances) will be responsibility of the violating party.
- Please contact the Vice Provost and Dean of Student Affairs’ office for further information.
- Smoking Policy: Generally summarized, this policy prohibits smoking in any campus building or university-owned vehicle. Also, one may not smoke within fifty (50) feet of any building entrance or HVAC intake vent. (Smoking Regulation – #703)
- Solicitation Policy: Consult this policy, the Code of Conduct, and the Facilities Use Policy before attempting any solicitation activities on campus. (Solicitation Regulation – #204)
- Improper Relations Between Faculty and Students: This policy protects students and prohibits relationships between faculty and students in certain contexts. Note, too, that state law prohibits sexual relationships between high school students and education personnel. (Improper Relations Regulation – #616)
- Drug Education: In compliance with federal law, UNCSA has programs concerning drug abuse education and prevention.
- Visitor Policy: Visitors are welcome in public areas (performance spaces, dining hall, snack bar,
bookstore, library, etc.) Visitors to the campus who are not attending a public event
or who do not have specific business with a member of the School staff or faculty
are subject to the following guidelines:
- General visitors to campus should go to the Welcome Center, UNCSA’s main reception area for visitors. On weekends and holidays, the visitor should go to the UNCSA Police Department;
- If the visitor is a guest of a high school student they must register at the High School Life Office located in the Connector Building. The visitor completes a UNCSA Visitor Registration Form, and the resident hosting the visitor must be present and sign the form. The visitor must retain a copy of the form during the visit.
- Visitors must comply with all policies and regulations applicable to residential students. The host student is responsible for the guest’s actions.