Graduate Design & Production Admissions
UNCSA offers Masters of Fine Arts (MFA) degrees in the School of Design & Production (D&P) in several concentrations. You will complete an online application and upload required documents. A digital portfolio will be uploaded as part of the application. You must meet the minimum test and educational requirements. An interview is required for admission - should you be invited to interview, you will bring a physical portfolio of your work to an in-person interview with D&P faculty on the UNCSA campus. Admission is based on a combination of your artistic and academic merits.
Deadlines & Interview Dates
The application for Fall 2020 will open September 2019. UNCSA does not have Spring enrollment. Interviews will begin in October 2019. Interviews should be scheduled prior to February 1st for applicants seeking a merit scholarship.
Off-Campus Preliminary Interview
UNCSA faculty will travel to NYC, LA, SETC, USITT and other loccations throughout the year. If you would like to set up a preliminary interview, contact your admissions counselor after completing your application. The preliminary interview will not decide admission - a second interview will be required with faculty from the concentration of application for those who are invited to move forward in the admissions process. An on-campus interview or visit is recommended.
Video/Phone interviews are available for applicants with significant financial difficulties or international applicants. Please contact your admissions counselor after completing your application to discuss options
Applicants to all graduate Design & Production programs should have completed an undergraduate degree or be scheduled for completion of a degree prior to the upcoming Fall semester.
Test Scores (International Applicants)
International Applicants: TOEFL or IELTS Scores
International applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores, with minimum scores of:
- TOEFL: 79 internet-based, 550 paper based, 213 computer based
- IELTS: 6.5
Completed Application, Fees & Required Documents
1. Complete the online application.
2. Pay your Application Fee: $95 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents, $130 for international applicants or non-resident aliens. Application fees are non-refundable.
- Online: Follow payment instructions at the end of the application or on your application status portal.
- Check or Money Order (through a U.S. bank): Make payable to "UNCSA" and include your full legal name. Mail your payment and fully legible name of the applicant to the Office of Admissions.
- International Applicants: Use Flywire to pay your application fee online through an international bank or pay by check or money order through a U.S. bank as listed above.
3. Upload all Required Application Documents by your application materials deadline above prior to your scheduled interview date.
Please note: If you are applying to two different UNCSA art schools (Music, Filmmaking and Design & Production) you will need to complete a second application and pay a second application fee.