Required Application Documents
The following supplemental application documents are needed to complete your applicant file. With the exception of official transcripts and official test scores, you will have the option to upload your supplemental documents through your Admissions Portal after you have submitted your initial application to UNCSA.
You can submit your unofficial transcripts through your Admissions Portal for initial review of your application. Should you be admitted to UNCSA, any schools you have attended will need to send official transcripts to confirm your final grades at those schools.
Transcripts should be submitted to the UNCSA Office of Admissions electronically whenever possible. If your institution does not have the capability to send your transcript electronically, please request that your official transcript be mailed to the Office of Admissions.
Official Transcripts should be sealed, signed or notarized for all secondary school academic records, and should include a list of courses in which the applicant is enrolled at the time of application. Any transcript uploaded by the student through the Admissions Portal is considered unofficial.
Please have transcripts sent as soon as possible to be granted an interview.
- Preferred applicants to the Film Music Composition concentration should have an undergraduate degree in music or music composition
- Preferred primary applicants for the Creative Producing or Screenwriting concentrations should have a minimum of two years of work experience.
Transcripts MUST be translated to English with both a credential evaluation and a GPA equivalent from a certifying agency. Transcripts from each school attended must be sent to the certifying agency for evaluation and certification. Approved agencies can be found at www.naces.org or www.aice-eval.org.
A certified credential evaluation is required with your application, in order to be reviewed for admission.
GRE Scores (Optional)
The GRE is not required for admission, but scores will be considered. If you choose to submit scores, please mail hard copies to the Office of Admissions.
International applicants should submit TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo scores. Minimum score requirements for international students are:
- TOEFL: 79 internet-based, 550 paper-based, or 213 computer-based
- IELTS: 6.5
- Duolingo: 100
Letters of Recommendation
As a part of the application, UNCSA requires applicants to submit contact information
for two references. References will be sent a recommendation form and have the ability
to upload an additional letter. UNCSA requires contact information for the following:
- One letter from an arts instructor
- One letter from an academic instructor
If you are not currently enrolled in school, a letter may come from an employer, mentor, instructor, director, etc
Letter of Intent
Your letter of intent should express your creative and professional interests, goals and other information providing insight into your work.
- Consider sharing what kind of work you believe has made an impact and how you intend to make impactful work.
- Discuss your goals as a filmmaker: is your creative work a vehicle of personal expression, social commentary, and/or commerce?
- Expand on the above ideas, and include any additional remarks that will allow the committee to learn as much about you, your work, and aspirations as possible.
- Please be sure to include a statement about your goals as they relate to UNCSA and why you believe this university’s graduate program is the right place for you to further those goals.
- Maximum length: three pages.
- Be sure to include your full name on this document, which may be used if you are recommended for scholarship consideration.
Upload a two-page document:
- The first page should list your educational objectives, work experiences, and extra-curricular activities and/or community service;
- The second page should consist of an essay in which you describe how you have integrated your extra-curricular activities and/or community service into our world artistically as well as personally.
As part of your online admissions application, you will be given a question and access to a video essay page where you can record your answer online.
To record your video, you will need to use a computer with a webcam and a browser that supports media recording (Chrome and Firefox).
The video essay page provides you with the ability to perform a test recording. This allows you to ensure that your webcams and microphones are working as desired prior to recording your actual video essay.
The duration of the video will not exceed three-minutes. You will be granted two attempts to complete the video essay.
Creative Producing or Screenwriting Applicants
Submit a portfolio of two writing samples in PDF format.
Film Music Composition
Provide a portfolio of three to five original compositions.
Additional International Documents
In addition to the documents listed above, international applicants should also be prepared to submit the following documents to your Admissions Counselor only after you have received notification that you've been accepted to UNCSA: