Graduate Music Admissions
UNCSA offers Master of Music (M.M.) graduate degrees and Professional Artist Certificates (PAC) with several instruments of study in the School of Music. Along with your online application and required application documents, you will audition with the music faculty. Admission to the UNCSA School of Music program is based on a combination of your artistic and academic merits.
Graduate voice applicants should review the Fletcher Opera Audition Process for complete application procedures.
Deadlines & Auditions
School of Music auditions have moved online for the 2021-22 academic year. Most applicants will need to submit at least 1 recording with their application while select others will need to submit a full prescreening. In order to be reviewed for admission - the application, fee and all required documents must be submitted by one of the designated deadlines:
December 4, 2020 (11:59 pm)**
*For scholarship consideration, applicants are required to submit their application, application fee and either recordings or prescreenings no later than the January deadline.
**Fletcher applicants MUST submit all application materials & prescreening recordings no later than Dec. 4, 2020. Anything submitted after this deadline will not be considered for admission consideration.
March 12, 2021: Music Admission notification date
Live virtual auditions or interviews will be scheduled at a later date, and only after an application is submitted. Applicants will be notified after Dec. 4, 2020 when scheduling is available.
Applicants for the graduate division in the School of Music should have completed or be scheduled for completion of a Bachelor of Music or Bachelor of Arts degree with a music focus (or the equivalent if the institution is located outside of the United States). Applicants to the Professional Artist Certificate program should have completed or be scheduled for completion of a Master of Music or Master of Arts with a music focus (or the equivalent if the institution is located outside of the United States).
Test Scores (International Applicants)
International applicants are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo scores. Minimum score requirements for international students are:
- TOEFL: 79 internet-based, 550 paper based, 213 computer based
- IELTS: 6.5
- Duolingo: 100
Completed Application, Fees & Required Documents
- Complete the online application.
- Pay your Application Fee: $95 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents, $130 for
international applicants or non-resident aliens. Application fees are non-refundable.
- Online: Follow payment at the end of the application.
- Check or Money Order (through a U.S. bank): Make payable to "UNCSA" and include your full legal name. Mail your payment and fully legible name of the applicant to the Office of Admissions.
- International Applicants: Use Flywire to pay your application fee online through an international bank or pay by check or money order through a U.S. bank as listed above.
- Upload all Required Application Documents by your application materials deadline above prior to your scheduled audition.
Please note: If you are applying to two different UNCSA art schools (Music, Filmmaking and Design & Production) you will need to complete a second application and pay a second application fee.