Graduate Music Admissions
UNCSA offers Master of Music (M.M.) graduate degrees and Professional Artist Certificates (PAC) with several instruments of study in the School of Music. The application process includes an online application, required application documents, and an audition or interview with faculty. Admission is based on a combination of artistic and academic merits.
Deadlines & Auditions
School of Music auditions are held in-person, closely following campus Community Health Standards. Applicants are required to submit recording(s) and schedule a live audition or interview. Select programs prescreen applicants to determine if a live audition or interview will be conducted.
A completed application, application fee, and all required documents must be submitted in order to be reviewed for admission. Applicants meeting these deadlines will be considered for merit scholarships:
Instrumental & Composition
|Application and Application Fee||December 1, 2022 (11:59 p.m. EST)|
|All Required Application Materials submitted||January 18, 2023 (11:59 p.m. EST)|
|Decisions Release Date||March 10, 2023|
Qualifying applicants will be notified and invited to schedule an audition for faculty. Interview registration will begin to be scheduled no later than November 1, 2022.
|Application, Application Fee, Prescreening, and all Required Application Documents submitted.||December 1, 2022 (11:59 p.m. EST)|
|Applicants who submit materials after December 1 will not be considered for admission.|
Qualifying applicants will be notified after December 1 to schedule an audition for faculty.
Graduate Voice applicants should review the Fletcher Opera Audition Process for complete application procedures.
Applicants for the graduate division in the School of Music should have completed or be scheduled for completion of a Bachelor of Music or Bachelor of Arts degree with a music focus (or the equivalent if the institution is located outside of the United States).
Applicants to the Professional Artist Certificate program should have completed or be scheduled for completion of a Master of Music or Master of Arts with a music focus in the intended area of concentration (or the equivalent if the institution is located outside of the United States).
Test Scores (International Applicants)
International applicants are required to submit TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo scores. Minimum score requirements for international students are:
- TOEFL iBT or TOEFL iBT Home Edition: 79
- IELTS Academic: 6.5
- Duolingo English Test: 100
Completed Application, Fees & Required Documents
- Complete the online application.
- Pay your Application Fee: $95 for U.S. citizens and permanent residents, $130 for
international applicants or non-resident aliens. Application fees are non-refundable.
- Online: Follow payment at the end of the application or on your Admissions Portal.
- Check or Money Order (through a U.S. bank): Make payable to "UNCSA" and include your full legal name. Mail your payment and fully legible name of the applicant to the Office of Admissions.
- International Applicants: Use Flywire to pay your application fee online through an international bank or pay by check or money order through a U.S. bank as listed above.
- Upload all Required Application Documents prior to your listed application deadline.
Please note: If applying to two different UNCSA art schools (Design & Production, Filmmaking, and Music), a completed second application and fee is required.