Interim Dean of Music Saxton Rose has been on faculty at UNCSA since 2008. One of America’s most recognized bassoon soloists and chamber musicians, Rose has performed in some of the most important concert halls and taught at the most prestigious universities and conservatories throughout the world and is a leading advocate for the performance and commissioning of works by living composers. He has also completed D.M.A. coursework at the University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music.
He is director of the nu ensemble, the School of Music’s contemporary music group. He is also a member of the acclaimed New York-based wind quintet Zéphyros Winds and is principal bassoonist with the Winston-Salem Symphony.
Throughout his time at UNCSA Rose has been an active and important leader within the School of Music and the university at large. Over the past four years he has been in leadership positions within the strategic planning and curriculum revision task forces for Music, with a particular focus on technology development and innovative approaches to ensemble training.
I strive to create an atmosphere of variety, intellectual curiosity, and well-rounded musical activity to stimulate and challenge students.Saxton Rose
- Performed as a concerto soloist throughout the world with the National Symphony of Colombia in Bogotá, National Symphony of Panamá, West Point Band at the Skirball Center in New York City and in North Carolina with Fayetteville Symphony Orchestra and Winston-Salem Symphony, among others
- Performed as a recitalist during the 2016 season in Japan, Argentina, Mexico and China; in Belgium at the Concertgebouw in Brugges; in The Netherlands at the Korzo Theater in The Hague and at the Ostadetheater in Amsterdam
- Principal bassonist of the Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra, 2003-08
- Has taught masterclasses throughout Europe, Latin America, Asia and in the US at the finest music schools and conservatories
- Performance as featured artist as concerto soloist of Dana Wilson’s "Avatar" Concerto for Bassoon with the West Point Band at the 2014 International Double Reed Society Conference at NYU in New York City
- Performances as Principal Bassoon with Orchestra of St. Luke’s of Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring, April 2013
- Performance with contemporary music ensemble Alarm Will Sound in Berlin, Germany at the Philharmonie as part of the MaerzMusik contemporary music festival, March 2011
- Concerto soloist with Orquesta Nacional de Colombia in Bogotá, May 2010
- Zéphyros Winds
- Dark in the Song
- Principal Bassoon of Winston-Salem Symphony
- Sponsored Artist for J. Püchner Bassoons – Named a J. Püchner Artist in 2011. J. Püchner is a bassoon manufacturer in Germany. As the only sponsored artist in the United Sstates, Püchner funds Roses' performing, teaching and recording on their instruments. He performs exclusively with the Model Superior/6000 bassoon.
- International Double Reed Society – Chair of the International Double Reed Society’s Gillet-Fox Competition for Bassoon and Associate Editor of IDRS Online Publications.
- Chamber Music America
Artist DiplomaConservatorio “Agostino Steffani” Castelfranco-Veneto, Italy
M.M.University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
B.M.University of Colorado