Payroll Policy 307
|Policy 307||Approved: February 17, 2011|
|UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA SCHOOL OF THE ARTS
|Source of Authority:||N.C.G.S. § 116-34(a);
UNC Code§ 502(A)
|History:||First Issued: February 17, 2011|
Office of State Personnel Policies;
|Responsible Offices:||Financial Services Department|
|Effective Date:||February 17, 2011|
This policy governs the processing and disbursement of payroll at UNCSA.
This policy applies to all salary payments for all UNCSA employees.
A. End of Month Payroll
1. All employees, except hourly temporary and student employees are paid on the last workday of each month, except December.
2. Required Deductions
a. Federal & State withholding taxes;
b. Retirement contributions and Social Security taxes;
c. Absences from work not covered by authorized leave credits ;
d. Federal, State, City and County debts or garnishments; AND
e. Child Support Garnishments.
3. Other non-required deductions may be made from the employee’s paycheck, but they must be requested and authorized by the employee.
4. Employees will be notified of any garnishment amounts being deducted from their paychecks.
5. An employee whose employment with UNCSA commences or terminates during a pay cycle, for whatever reason, will be paid a prorated amount
6. Severance pay will only be paid after the employee’s termination date.
B. Bi-Weekly Payroll
1. All temporary and student employees are paid on the biweekly pay schedule, every other Friday.
2. Hours worked must be submitted electronically by Web Time Entry on a biweekly schedule.
3. Federal garnishments and child support deductions may be taken from the employee’s paycheck.
C. Timeliness of Paperwork
1. Month-End Employees – Paperwork for new hires, changes to existing position, or supplemental pays, etc. must be submitted to Payroll before the deadline established by Human Resources. If deadlines are missed, the employee will have to wait until the next month-end pay cycle to be paid.
2. Bi-Weekly Employees – Paperwork for new hires, or changes, etc. must be submitted to Payroll office two weeks before each pay cycle. If deadlines are missed for biweekly employees, the employee will have to complete the Biweekly Late Submission Timesheet for the time period missed and wait until the next biweekly pay cycle to be paid for that missed period.
D. Overtime & Premium Pay
1. Overtime. Payments, if any, for hours worked in excess of 40 hours in a week are governed by UNCSA’s Overtime Policy and UNCSA’s Compensatory Time Policy.
If overtime occurs on a temporary or student employee that works in various departments, the last department will be responsible for paying the employee’s overtime, with the exception of work study students. Work study students overtime cannot be charged to the Federal work-study program; therefore, the department that the student works for will be responsible for the overtime cost.
2. Shift Premium Pay. The university provides additional compensation for certain employees whose regular work schedules occur during evening or night hours. A permanent or probationary employee whose regular, recurring work shift occurs between 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. may be entitled to shift premium pay. Temporary employees are not paid shift premium.
3. On Call Pay. Payments, if any, for hours spent “on call” are governed by the applicable On Call & Emergency Callback Policy.
4. Holiday Premium Pay. If an employee is scheduled to work on a scheduled State holiday, the employee will get additional pay equal to one-half of their regular hourly wage for every hour worked. They will also get time off on another day, unless the day off results in scheduling problems, in which case the time off may be paid as straight time.
E. Salary Advances
1. Salary advances will be considered only to correct an error or omission committed by the Human Resources or Payroll staff in processing payroll information.
2. No salary advances are permitted in the month of June.
3. The Controller must approve the salary advance request before the Payroll Department can process it.
V. Revision History
A. February 17, 2011 – Adopted by Board of Trustees as part of UNCSA Policy Manual
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA SCHOOL OF THE ARTS
I. Payroll Procedures Manual
A. Financial Services will establish and maintain a Payroll Procedures Manual which will contain more information and procedures for implementing the Payroll Policy.