Secondary Employment Regulation 626
|Regulation 626||Approved: February 17, 2011|
|UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA SCHOOL OF THE ARTS
Secondary Employment Regulation
|Source of Authority:||North Carolina Office of State Human Resources|
|Revision Authority:||Board of Trustees|
|History:||First Issued: February 17, 2011|
|Related Policies and Regulations:||Secondary Employment, OSP Manual § 3, p. 24;
Additional Employment Regulation 601;
Conflicts of Interest (Employees) Policy 603;
Dual Employment Regulation 606;
External Activities for Pay Regulation 610;
Improper Activities Reporting Regulation 114;
Occasional or Sporadic Employment Regulation 621
|Responsible Offices:||Human Resources Department|
|Effective Date:||February 17, 2011|
This regulation is to effectuate Office of State Human Resources policy regarding secondary employment and the possibility of a conflict of commitment which arise from this secondary employment.
This regulation applies to all SHRA UNCSA employees.
A. “Secondary Employment” means any employment which an SHRA UNCSA employee chooses to engage in beyond his/her UNCSA employment.
A. Permissibility. Secondary employment will not be permitted if it would either:
1. create, directly or indirectly, a conflict of interest with the employee’s UNCSA employment; OR
2. adversely impact, in any way, the employee’s ability to perform all of the employee’s expected duties, to make decisions, and carry out in an objective fashion the responsibilities of the employee’s UNCSA employment.
B. Employee Responsibilities
1. UNCSA employees’ primary employment responsibilities are the employees’ primary employment responsibilities for full-time employees.
2. Employees must complete a Secondary Employment Form for all employment outside their UNCSA employment that is not covered by UNCSA’s Dual Employment Regulation.
3. The employee must have UNCSA’s written approval to commence the secondary employment.
4. Employees must update and file a Secondary Employment Form annually by July 1.
5. Employees must update their current Secondary Employment Form throughout the year in the event that the information contained thereon has changed.
1. All secondary employment must be approved in advance by the employee’s immediate supervisor, department head (if applicable), and the Provost/Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration.
2. In the event that the secondary employment has any impact on or may create any possibility of conflict with State operations, the form must be approved by the State Personnel Director in conjunction with the North Carolina State Ethics Commission.
D. Withdrawal. Authorization for secondary employment may be withdrawn by the Provost/Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration at any time if the Provost/Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration determines that the secondary employment has an adverse impact on the employee’s UNCSA employment.
E. Discipline. Violation of this regulation, or failure to submit accurate information on the Secondary Employment Form, may subject an employee to disciplinary action, but to and including termination.
V. Revision History
A. February 17, 2011 – Adopted by Board of Trustees as part of UNCSA Policy Manual