The UNCSA Choreographic Institute is an initiative to support the development of new work by emerging and established choreographers of exceptional promise. In 2019, emerging and aspiring choreographers can participate in a competitive residency program and a professional workshop in building choreographic skills.
Through this initiative, UNCSA School of Dance looks to deepen its mission of developing original works, supporting artists and giving back to the broader community.
Choreographic Development Residency
- 4 Selected Emerging Choreographers
- Special Guest Mentoring with Helen Pickett
- 5 Weeks of Workshops
- 5 Weeks of Studio Space to Create an Original Work
- 15 - 20 UNCSA Summer Dance Dancers
- Pre-Professional Dancers for evening exploration
- 1 Performance of the Work at the Stevens Center
- 1 Video Documentation of the Work
- Production Design Workshops
- Lighting Design Workshop
- Costume Workshop
- Dance for Film workshop
- >Room, board and a stipend will be provided
Choreographic Essentials Workshop
Choreographic Essentials, created by Helen Pickett, is a unique and immersive dance think-tank initiated in 2011. The workshop is designed to develop, cultivate and expand the compositional / choreographic and performance skill-sets of the participants. The program is geared toward professional and professional aspirant dancers, age 18-27.