Contemporary Dance Intensive
Contemporary Dance Intensive
Registration for the Contemporary Dance Intensive will open in January 2019. Please note audition dates and instructions.
The Contemporary Dance Intensive is a five-week program focusing on cross-disciplinary dance training that is designed to reflect the needs of today’s professional dance world. The program provides a highly focused and extensive pre-professional experience for intermediate and advanced dancers ages 12-18.
|Contemporary Dance Intensive||June 16 – July 20, 2019|
Our goal is to provide the highest level of professional training to encourage each student’s fullest technical and artistic development. Emphasis will be placed on daily classes in Contemporary Technique and Classical Ballet while offering exposure to a variety of dance forms to optimize strength, versatility and creativity. Additional weekly classes include Contemporary Partnering, Composition, Phrase Work, Improvisation, Somatics and Contemporary Repertory with master classes offered in Jazz, Musical Theatre, Hip Hop and Acting. Pointe class will be offered by audition only to qualified dancers. All classes and master classes will be taught by UNCSA faculty and distinguished guest artists.
The Intensive will culminate in a fully-produced concert at the Stevens Center. All dancers will have the opportunity to perform repertory choreographed by either UNCSA Summer Dance distinguished faculty or professional emerging choreographers selected from our Choreographic Institute. An optional add-on Mindset Workshop is also offered for dancers aged 14 and older.
Important! Registered students must download and submit the documents linked below no later than June 1, 2019:
If you wish to be considered for admission to the Contemporary Dance Intensive you must audition either in-person (see Audition Dates), or by video audition via e-mailed link. Should inclement weather prohibit travel, UNCSA reserves the right to cancel and will reschedule auditions.
Live Audition Requirements
- See Audition Dates page for online registration information.
- $30 audition fee when registering online. The fee is $40 when registering at audition. If paying at time of audition, you must use cash and have exact change.
- One full body photo, in dancewear, enface, arms in second position, tendue in second position.
- For ladies: black leotard with pink convertible tights so that bare feet can be worn for the Contemporary portion of the audition; pink ballet shoes
- For men: dance belt, black convertible tights so that bare feet can be worn for the Contemporary portion of the audition; white T-shirt tucked in, black ballet shoes
Video Email Audition Requirements
Please provide all requested information below by email to Ashley Lindsey at UNCSAsummerdance@gmail.com. Video auditions will open January 1, 2019, and close April 15, 2019. We encourage you to send video submission early. No fee required.
- Student’s name, date of birth, mailing address, email address and phone number
- Please denote auditioning for Contemporary Dance Intensive
- Link to online video
- Applicants should wear recommended attire (see audition live audition requirements above)
- Applicants must be 12 years old by June 16, 2019
Video Email Audition Must Include
- At Barre: Plié in 1st and 2nd positions, tendu/dégagé (straight and with plié from fifth), rond de jambe, passé développé (front, side, and back), grand battement, and a balance on one leg. Movements should be short, but should demonstrate clarity of form and all together should not exceed five minutes.
- In addition: three phrases that travel across the floor: one demonstrating use of space, one demonstrating chaine and pique turns and one demonstrating grand jeté.
Results of both in-person and live auditions will be sent via email. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of your audition, please contact Ashley Lindsey at UNCSAsummerdance@gmail.com to inquire about the results of your audition. Due to high volume of audition participation, individual feedback from auditions cannot be given.