Contemporary Dance Intensive
Contemporary Dance Intensive
The online Contemporary Dance Intensive is a program focusing on cross-disciplinary dance training that is designed to reflect the needs of today's professional dance world. The virtual contemporary dance program is highly focused and is an extensive pre-professional experience for intermediate and advanced dancers age 12-18.
|Contemporary Dance Intensive||June 21 - July 17, 2020|
During the intensive, we will offer specially tailored virtual classes Monday through Friday. The program will also include master classes, seminars, and Q&A sessions with members of our faculty and distinguished guest artists.
Classes will be held using Zoom to maximize feedback and personalized training. Classes will be designed so students can take them in small spaces with minimal impact on the joints. We are reducing our class sizes to create a more intimate relationship between students and instructors, and Zoom will allow faculty to observe students and provide verbal instructions and corrections.
Daily classes will include Contemporary Technique, Classical Ballet, Composition, Improvisation, Phase work, Music for Dancers, Yoga, Pilates and Conditioning.
Additional master classes will include jazz, musical theatre, ballroom, and hip hop. Seminars will cover audition techniques, performing arts college discussions, and other topics for dancers seeking a professional dance career.
We are excited to partner with The American Dance Festival's Movies by Movers to offer our students exclusive film screenings and discussions, led by UNCSA alumni and festival director Cara Hagan.
Dante Puleio, Artistic Director of the Jose Limon Dance Company, will join us for a workshop to discuss Limon's most iconic works and his impact on the world of modern dance.
The goal of our virtual Contemporary Dance Intensive is to provide the highest level of professional training and to encourage technical and artistic development with each student.
An online orientation for parents and students will be held June 21 at 1 p.m.
|11:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.||Open Zoom hang out and wellness check-in for all students and faculty|
|12:00 - 1:30 p.m.||Ballet Class|
|1:40 - 2:25 p.m.||
Classical Ballet: Pointe and Men's Class
|2:25 - 3:30 p.m.||Lunch Break and optional Open Zoom Hang
During this time, students will have the opportunity to socialize and connect with classmates and work-study advisors. These advisors are current UNCSA students and alumni. They will use this time to facilitate Q & A sessions on their UNCSA experience as well as discussions on dance related topics.
|3:30 - 4:45 p.m.||Contemporary Technique Class|
|4:45 - 5:00 p.m.||Optional Cardio Dance Break (twice a week)|
|5:00 - 6:00 p.m.||Optional Yoga, Pilates or Conditioning (three times a week)|
|6:00 - 7:00 p.m.||Dinner Break|
|7:00 - 8:00 p.m.||Optional masterclasses (two or three times a week)|
- High-Speed internet
- A space that is at least 6x6 Ft to work in
- A computer, iPad or phone for Zoom
- A ballet barre or chair
- A yoga mat
Important! Registered students must download and submit the documents linked below no later than June 1, 2020:
If you wish to be considered for admission to the Contemporary Dance Intensive you must audition either in-person (see Audition Dates), or by video audition via e-mailed link. Should inclement weather prohibit travel, UNCSA reserves the right to cancel and will reschedule auditions.
Live Audition Requirements
- See Audition Dates page for online registration information.
- $30 audition fee when registering online. The fee is $40 when registering at audition. If paying at time of audition, you must use cash and have exact change.
- One full body photo, in dancewear, enface, arms in second position, tendue in second position.
- For ladies: black leotard with pink convertible tights so that bare feet can be worn for the Contemporary portion of the audition; pink ballet shoes
- For men: dance belt, black convertible tights so that bare feet can be worn for the Contemporary portion of the audition; white T-shirt tucked in, black ballet shoes
Video Email Audition Requirements
Please provide all requested information below by email to Ashley Lindsey at UNCSAsummerdance@gmail.com. Video auditions will open January 1, 2020, and close April 15, 2020. We encourage you to send video submission early. No fee required.
- Student’s name, date of birth, mailing address, email address and phone number
- Please denote auditioning for Contemporary Dance Intensive
- Link to online video
- Applicants should wear recommended attire (see audition live audition requirements above)
- Applicants must be 12 years old by June 21, 2020
Video Email Audition Must Include
- At Barre: Plié in 1st and 2nd positions, tendu/dégagé (straight and with plié from fifth), rond de jambe, passé développé (front, side, and back), grand battement, and a balance on one leg. Movements should be short, but should demonstrate clarity of form and all together should not exceed five minutes.
- In addition: three phrases that travel across the floor: one demonstrating use of space, one demonstrating chaine and pique turns and one demonstrating grand jeté.
- A self- or professionally-choreographed solo and/or one minute improvised solo.
Results of both in-person and live auditions will be sent via email. If you do not hear from us within two weeks of your audition, please contact Ashley Lindsey at UNCSAsummerdance@gmail.com to inquire about the results of your audition. Due to high volume of audition participation, individual feedback from auditions cannot be given.