Classical Ballet Intensive
Classical Ballet Intensive
UNCSA Summer Dance is an online three-week comprehensive intensive for dancers age 12 - 18. The online Classical Ballet Intensive focuses on cross-disciplinary dance training and fits the needs of serious dance artists at any point in their training. The program provides gifted emerging artists with the experience, knowledge and skills needed to excel in their disciplines.
|Classical Ballet Intensive||June 21 - July 9, 2021|
Curriculum and Classes
We are not simply transferring what we do on campus to an online format; instead, we have created a program that takes advantage of the technology and the situation at hand.
We will offer specially tailored online classes Monday through Friday during the intensive, and students will experience a well-rounded curriculum.
Daily classes will include Classical Ballet, Pointe, Men's Class, Variations, Contemporary Technique, Music for Dancers, Yoga, Pilates and Conditioning.
Other topics covered in our seminars and Q&A sessions may include:
- Careers in the Arts
- Dance History
- Dancer Wellness
- Injury Prevention and Awareness
- Meet the Artist
The program will also include master classes in jazz, musical theatre, ballroom and hip hop.
All Classes will be held using Zoom to maximize feedback and personalized training. We've reduced our class sizes to create a more intimate relationship between students and instructors and Zoom will allow faculty to observe students and provide verbal instructions and corrections. For more information read through our frequently asked questions.
Sample Online Schedule
(Eastern time - subject to change)
|10:45 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.||Student/Faculty check-in|
|11:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.||Ballet Class|
|12:45 - 1:45 p.m.||
Pointe, Men's Class, Variations
|1:45 - 2:45 p.m.||Lunch Break|
|2:45 - 4:15 p.m.||Contemporary Technique Class|
|4:15 - 5:15 p.m.||Optional: Yoga, Pilates, and Conditioning|
|4:15 - 5:30 p.m.||Repertory*|
|5:30 - 6:30 p.m.||Dinner Break|
|6:30 - 7:30 p.m.||Optional masterclasses|
* Students participating in all three weeks are invited to participate in virtual performances during the last week of the intensive. Repertory classes will meet three times per week from 4:15 - 5:30 p.m. Students will attend Yoga, Pilates and Conditioning on days when Repertory does not meet. Those who are attending only 1 or 2 weeks will take Yoga, Pilates, and Conditioning.
- High-Speed internet
- A space that is at least 6x6 Ft to work in
- A computer, iPad or phone for Zoom
- A ballet barre or chair
- A yoga mat
My daughter loved the variety of instructors with the program. Everyone had something unique to offer.
Summer Dance Parent
I really saw the positive impact the summer intensives had on my student's technique and overall attitude/confidence. The online platform actually made it easier for my student to engage quicker. I appreciated how there was tech support and the canvas platform kept everything in one place. We had an incredible experience. The masterclasses were a huge bonus.
Summer Dance Parent
I felt that the online program format was very effective! I really appreciated all of the guidance that was given prior to the start of the intensive about specific technical aspects to consider. That information helped the online experience go much smoother. I also greatly appreciated that the class size was small because I really felt that I was seen in every class even on the virtual platform.
Summer Dance Student
General Audition Information
All auditions will be online for the summer of 2021. A video audition is required for admission into the UNCSA Summer Dance Program.
Applicants must be 12 years old by June 21, 2021.
Video auditions will open on January 4, 2021, and close on April 15, 2021.
We encourage you to send video submissions early as space for the intensive is limited.
There is a $30 audition fee, which must be paid in full prior to video submission. The link for audition registration and payment is below:
After you have registered and paid for the audition, we will send you an email address for your audition materials.
Audition results will be sent via email; if you do not hear from us within two weeks of your audition, please contact Ashley Lindsey at UNCSAsummerdance@gmail.com to inquire about the results of your audition.
Due to the high volume of audition participation, individual feedback from auditions cannot be given.
Online Intensive Audition Requirements
Your video audition should be a single video link or file, no more than 10 minutes in length, containing all of the elements outlined below. Only one side needs to be shown for each combination. The video frame should show the full body throughout and not include any dancers other than the applicant. The video must be taken recently, not more than three months before submission.
- Your video link (Youtube or Vimeo preferred) or file is required to be emailed to an address we will provide after your audition registration and payment are complete.
- Applicants must wear practice clothes.
- Do not wear skirts, loose-fitting tee-shirts, or leg warmers.
- Wear clothing that contrasts with the filming environment so that you can be seen clearly and stand out from the background.
Classical Ballet Audition Video Requirements
- Barre work (maximum of 5 minutes; only one side needed for each combination)
- Pliés, tendus, adagio, grand battements
- Center Work (maximum 5 minutes):
- Pirouette combination with pirouettes en-dehors and en-dedans
- Allegro combinations:
- Petite allegro
- Grand allegro (Optional, if you have enough space to execute the combination safely)
- Men, please include tours en l'air right and left
- Pointe work (ladies only): échappés, retirés, double pirouettes en-dehors, and en-dedans on pointe