Workers' Compensation Program

Disability & Workers' Compensation Program

The State Government Workers' Compensation Program is administered and managed by the Office of State Human Resources. The purpose of the program is to ensure that all eligible employees who experience a work-related injury or illness receive appropriate medical care and equitable benefits as provided under the Workers' Compensation Act and the State Human Resources Policy.


Injury at work

If you are injured while at work, follow the UNC School of the Arts procedure. 

UNCSA Rights and Responsibilities:

Notify your supervisor if you receive a work related injury, even if you do not require medical treatment. The supervisor has the responsibility of ensuring that the employee receives medical treatment immediately and notifying the university Workers' Compensation Administrator(s), or designee, as soon as possible in order to begin the process of administering the claim.

The responsibility for claiming compensation is the responsibility of the injured employee. All on-the-job injuries, regardless of severity, must be reported and recorded by your Workers’ Compensation administrator and Supervisor (or) Department Head immediately, in any event within the allotted time required. Delay in reporting job injuries may result in the loss of benefits (if any are due), or the employer may refuse compensation. North Carolina requires that these injuries be reported to the North Carolina Industrial Commission within five (5) days.

UNC School of the Arts requires that the Employee Incident Report Form be completed by the employee and forwarded to Human Resources immediately. Any witnesses should fill out the Witness Incident Report Form. You are responsible to accept the immediately medical treatment provided by your employer. Once the treating physician is established, you cannot change treating physicians for the injury unless the employer approves a referral. Any absences from work related to the injury must be authorized by the treating physician.

The supervisor must complete the Supervisor’s Report Form immediately after an employee report a work-related injury or illness, and forward to Human Resources, along with Employee Incident Report (which should be completed by the employee). The supervisor or department head shall specify what corrective action are need or taken to prevent this accident from reoccurring.

When UNC School of the Arts employees have on-the-job accident or incident the employee shall go to one of the authorized Urgent Care Centers listed below:

Novant Health Occupational Medicine – Hillcrest
2337 Winterhaven Ln.
Winston-Salem, NC 27103

FastMed Urgent Care
310 S Stratford Rd.
Winston-Salem, NC 27103

Employees are not authorized to go to their family physician or other medical personnel. In the event of a very serious accident that needs immediate special care, employees are taken to the nearest hospital. Employees are expected to return to work after being treated by a physician following a work related accident, unless instructed differently from the treating physician. No leave will be charged to the employee on the day of injury or illness if instructed by treating physician not to return to work.