Dual Employment Policy and Procedures

Office of State Human Resources (OSHR) and UNCSA Policies

The Dual Employment policy is a state-wide uniform policy to be followed when one State agency secures the services of a permanent employee of another State agency on a part-time, consulting, or contractual basis.

Form CP-30 should be used for reporting purposes involving Dual Employment.

Terms to know for dual employment:

The Borrowing Agency is the State agency seeking, on a temporary or part-time basis, the services of a permanent employee of another State agency.

The Parent Agency is the State agency having control over the services of the employee, and from which the employee receives his or her regular paycheck.

Dual Employment is the situation in which a permanent State employee performs part-time, consulting, or contractual services for a State agency other than his or her Parent Agency, with the approval of both the Borrowing and Parent Agencies.

The Dual Employment Policy applies to all permanent State employees (EHRA-Faculty, EHRA-Non Faculty, and SHRA). Any compensation to the employee must be paid by the Parent Agency. The Borrowing Agency is not authorized to make a direct payment to a permanent employee of another State agency.

Dual Employment should be used for unique and one-time service requirements and not for continuing arrangements (except where valid Joint Appointments are involved). For Dual Employment for one-time services, the Borrowing Agency will reimburse the Parent Agency for matching Social Security contributions. (In cases of Joint Appointment, involving base pay, the Borrowing Agency will reimburse the Parent Agency for matching Social Security and retirement contributions.)

The following are not considered State agencies and their employees are exempt from the policy:

  • The Public School System
  • The Community College System
  • Employees of cities and counties

UNCSA Procedure as Borrowing Agency

When a permanent employee at another State agency has performed work at UNCSA, the UNCSA department that the employee worked for must then originate a Form CP-30, by completing all of Section 1 and the Name of Agency and Name of Employee in Section 2. The completed and signed form must then be emailed to the Budget Office Forms inbox.

Tips for completing the CP-30 (Click here to see a sample CP-30 as Borrowing Agency):

  • The “Salary for Services” should be the amount being paid to the employee in gross wages.
  • The “Agency Code and Subhead” should be:
    • 16092 - <Banner Fund Number> - 718140 for State Appropriated Funds
    • 06092 - <Banner Fund Number> - 718140 for Institutional Trust Funds
  • “Matching Social Security” must be included, in the amount of 7.65% of the Salary for Services.
  • The “Total Payment Due Parent Agency” must be the sum of the Salary and Social Security. This is the amount that will be drawn from the Banner Fund and Account specified on the form.
  • The “Name of Agency” in Section 1 should be UNC School of the Arts, and in Section 2 it should be the employee’s Parent Agency. The rest of Section 2 will be completed by the Parent Agency.
  • The Dean or Department Head must sign as the “Contracting Agency Official”.

The UNCSA Budget Office will review the CP-30 for accuracy and available budget, and then ask the UNCSA Accounting Office to submit an interagency transfer to the Parent Agency for the appropriate amount, to be drawn from the specified Banner Fund and Account on the CP-30. The Budget Office will then submit the CP-30 and confirmation of the transfer to the Parent Agency, who will in turn complete Section 2 of the CP-30, obtain the appropriate signatures, and pay the employee for the services rendered in the agency’s next eligible payroll cycle.

Please note that UNCSA does not have any control over when the employee will receive their pay from their Parent Agency. That being said, the UNCSA Budget Office recommends submitting CP-30s by the end of the month in which the work is performed, to allow the Parent Agency as much as time as possible to process the employee’s pay in the following month’s paycheck (example: submit by July 31 for the employee to be paid at the end of August).

UNCSA Procedure as Parent Agency

When work is performed by a permanent UNCSA employee at another State agency, that agency (the Borrowing Agency) will need to complete and submit a Form CP-30 and interagency transfer to UNCSA.

Once these have been received, the UNCSA Budget Office will complete Section 2 of the CP-30, and email it to the employee, with instructions for obtaining the required signatures (“Employee”, “Immediate Supervisor”, and “Department Head”). The signed form should be returned to the Budget Office Forms inbox. The UNCSA Budget Office will then approve the form and submit it to the Payroll Office for payment in the next eligible payroll cycle.

Please note that the signed form must be returned to the UNCSA Budget Office by the 15th of the month in order to be paid in that month’s paycheck. Otherwise, it will be held for the next month’s paycheck.


Please contact the UNCSA Budget Office for further information regarding Dual Employment.