Student Grievance and Complaints Policies and Procedures

Student Grievance and Complaints Policies and Procedures

UNCSA provides several means by which a student may address complaints and grievances. Students are advised to put their concerns in writing and carefully document the events that led to the complaint or grievance. As it is sometimes confusing as to which of the routes listed below should be followed, students are advised to contact the Vice Provost and Dean of Student Affairs Office for advice on the procedure to follow. Concerns should be expressed as soon as possible after the event occurs; some of the procedures have specific deadlines for filing grievances and/or complaints. 

A student who believes that he/she has been treated with substantial unfairness should initially attempt to resolve the matter by the end of the academic semester (fall, spring, or summer) following the academic semester when the alleged incident occurred (e.g., if the incident occurred during spring semester, the initial attempt must be completed by the last day of the final summer term) by communicating in writing the allegations to the administrative officer most directly concerned, excluding the person accused of the improper act. Links to the relevant academic and non-academic policies for grievance and complaints are listed below. 

This officer is likely to be a Director, a Department Head or Dean. In the case of an allegation against a faculty member, the Dean shall be the first avenue of appeal. The final step in the informal review for all students shall be the Dean or Executive Council Member (Provost, COO, Chancellor, Chief Advancement Officer, Director, Kenan Institute) to whom the accused ultimately reports. The officer should attempt immediately to discover the truth of the allegation and in the case of valid complaints, should seek resolution by discussion, counseling, mediation, or agreement of the parties, or by administrative action. The nature of the grievance and any information about it should be treated with the utmost confidentiality and with sensitivity to the issues involved.

At the end of efforts to resolve the grievance, the officer should record the complaint in a written statement identifying the grievant, the conduct complained of, the name of the accused person, the outcome of the information inquiry, and should maintain a copy in the office’s complaint files to be made available to other appropriate officials if needed.

If the issue is still not resolved, please follow the process outlined in the Complaint and Grievance Policy #805.

Policies that may affect and/or be related to above Complaints Policies and Procedures

Other Resources 

Normal inquiries or concerns such as those involving admission requirements, educational programs, etc. should be addressed directly to the appropriate office at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts.

For complaints that do not fall into the categories above, follow the Grievance and Complaints procedure #805.

If you are taking any UNCSA courses, and you have a complaint about your experience with UNCSA, you have two options:

  1. You are first encouraged to follow the UNCSA process for student complaints located above. You may also contact The Southern Association of Schools and Colleges Commission on Colleges, UNCSA’s regional accrediting agency.
  1. If you are residing outside of North Carolina while attending UNCSA, in many cases you can file a complaint in the state where you are residing. As required by federal regulations, we direct you to a list of resources compiled and updated by the State Higher Education Executive Officers Association.

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

If a complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting the institution’s grievance procedure, the student may file a complaint with the following office:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints c/o Cherisa Williams
University of North Carolina General Administration
910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688
Telephone: (919) 962-4621

The student may contact UNC General Administration for further details.